M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
 
MattUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
View on spec / Any feedback on day to day ownership?

Hi,

Having driven M cars for 14 years, then moving to a X3 3.0 M Sport am considering changing, and its either going to be an M5 or X5 M50D.

Curious to know if anyone here could provide some real world feedback on how happy they are with their M5, what kind of MPG they are getting etc, any negatives?

I've spec'd up my M5 already and im discussions with the dealer, so always wanted what in your view, were essential options to have and why?

The spec I've selected (UK Spec) is;

Monte Carlo Blue (Would have loved a frozen colour but not available here)
Black Leather interior
Piano Black Trim
20" Black Wheels
Harmon Kardon
Powered Boot (Trunk) Lid
Sun Protection Glass
Steering Wheel Heating
Seat Ventilation Front
Lumbar Support
M-Multi Function Seats (Do this act like the F60 seats?)
Surround View / Reversing Camera
Speed Limit Display

Was tempted to go with the LED lights, but they're quite pricey and I'm not sure how much better than the Xenons they are going to be (I do a lot of country road driving so I do like bright lights).

Thank you!
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
mstmng
Major
 
Drives: M5 '12 Silverstone/Black
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (0)

Frozen Blue is available as individual option, maybe your sales man is lazy and doesnt want to do his job
you can get any individual/frozen colour you want

i would definitely go with LED's, as they do really change the look of a car, unless its a price issue.

You should also add soft-close doors and comfort access (or its standard here?)

highway consumption is amazing, if you going under 100mph you are looking at 10L/100km
my city consumption is 20-28L/100km, but i have catless dp's
when car was bone stock, i had around 18-20L/100km in city

cant think of any negatives for it as a DD, but weight is an issue as been discussed million times
__________________
M5 F10 '12 FS/Black, catless resonated RPi GTM
M3 E90 DCT '08 Jerez/Ext Bamboo Beige, E-Race GONE
mstmng is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
 
skypx's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 642
iTrader: (0)

More info on LEDs. It looks better, but more importantly, it gives the user more visibility at night. It make a huge difference.
skypx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 4,150
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Hi,

Having driven M cars for 14 years, then moving to a X3 3.0 M Sport am considering changing, and its either going to be an M5 or X5 M50D.

Curious to know if anyone here could provide some real world feedback on how happy they are with their M5, what kind of MPG they are getting etc, any negatives?

I've spec'd up my M5 already and im discussions with the dealer, so always wanted what in your view, were essential options to have and why?

The spec I've selected (UK Spec) is;

Monte Carlo Blue (Would have loved a frozen colour but not available here)
Black Leather interior
Piano Black Trim
20" Black Wheels
Harmon Kardon
Powered Boot (Trunk) Lid
Sun Protection Glass
Steering Wheel Heating
Seat Ventilation Front
Lumbar Support
M-Multi Function Seats (Do this act like the F60 seats?)
Surround View / Reversing Camera
Speed Limit Display

Was tempted to go with the LED lights, but they're quite pricey and I'm not sure how much better than the Xenons they are going to be (I do a lot of country road driving so I do like bright lights).

Thank you!
If you can afford the LED's get them. They'll make you look as cool as Boots is when he rolling in the M5 with one hand at the 12 o'clock position, windows down and the RPi GTM roaring away. No but the High Beam assistant is super useful at night, but the LED's aren't really any brighter than the standard Xenons.

MPG is like 24mpg according to the U.S. Cycle. Super-awesome. Monte Carlo is the way go but, I'd stay away from the Piano Black trim, unless you don't mind staring at scratches all day. Power Boot Lid is a must and is what separates the real men from those sissy's who drive M6's and M6 Gran Coupe's who can't get that option. M Multi-Function Seats act exactly like the F60 seats (If the F60 were to ever exist).

Been supremely happy with my M5, even though no adjustable side bolsters or Competition Package. I was going to trade my M5 in for the new F80 M3 since all the people getting the F80 M3 said that it was going to be faster 0-60mph than the F10 M5, but it still slower, so now I don't think I'm going to do that.

Hope this helps bro.
__________________
Not feeling very cheery right now.
RPiM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Dionysus
Captain
 
Drives: M5 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Frozen colours are available in UK - frozen bronze is std indy colour (2715) and other frozen colours are special order -can be ~5K (they can add more time to factory order, so may explain why a dealer may be steering you away, especially if you have negotiated deal for particular quarter).

Std xenons are pretty good & intelligent anti-glare works very well.

M-seats are pretty much as per comfort seats in the non-M models (must have IMO).

Harmon Kardon not that good (although would probably work well in non-M F10 with less road noise), also consider Competition Package if going for M.

Driving wise in UK, M5 traction limited in colder months, but great in warmer weather (winter tyre may help).

MPG varies with use - some in stop start conditions approaching single figures, some averaging ~25mpg in what I would consider normal use.

I'm sure at least one UK member went M6GC to F15 M50d - do a search in the X5 section.

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-13-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Dionysus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
 
MattUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks for all the comments so far.. I will check on the frozen colour range, thank you! .. off to find the X5 post!
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ

Posts: 1,730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I feel like the OEM pre-LCI headlights are too dim, I would def get LEDs if I were to order one today.
__________________
Retired - 2009 C63 l 2007 Supercharged RRS l 2002 e46 SMG ///M3 l 2001 e46 330ci

2013 Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 - 20" Modulare Matte Titanium Brushed B18s - Coded by the best, V12
2014 Jeep JKU Wrangler Willys Wheeler W Unlimited - Granite Crystal/Black
PatrickC23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Dionysus
Captain
 
Drives: M5 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Thanks for all the comments so far.. I will check on the frozen colour range, thank you! .. off to find the X5 post!
I'm pretty certain that he had frozen blue M6GC (in UK).
Dionysus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
mstmng
Major
 
Drives: M5 '12 Silverstone/Black
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I'm pretty certain that he had frozen blue M6GC (in UK).
never seen frozen blue m6/m6gc
would love to see that
__________________
M5 F10 '12 FS/Black, catless resonated RPi GTM
M3 E90 DCT '08 Jerez/Ext Bamboo Beige, E-Race GONE
mstmng is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
mstmng
Major
 
Drives: M5 '12 Silverstone/Black
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Power Boot Lid is a must and is what separates the real men from those sissy's who drive M6's and M6 Gran Coupe's who can't get that option.
for real?
in uk u can get it on pretty much any bmw except 1-2 series
__________________
M5 F10 '12 FS/Black, catless resonated RPi GTM
M3 E90 DCT '08 Jerez/Ext Bamboo Beige, E-Race GONE
mstmng is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Dionysus
Captain
 
Drives: M5 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
never seen frozen blue m6/m6gc
would love to see that
I was mistaken, it was a wrap, however, pretty much same effect

Dionysus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
 
MattUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
As much as I'd love to add the Competition Package, I think at 6k its overpriced, and buys many other options.

Maybe go for one of the 30yr edition specials at 91k
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
mstmng
Major
 
Drives: M5 '12 Silverstone/Black
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (0)

thats the answer to the post you deleted while i was typing

3-5 years

+ protection from stone chips + u dont need to worry about bird shit, worse case scenario you re-wrap the panel

anyways, if u really want to get frozen blue (based on monte carlo blue), i suggest you get MCB m5 (cheaper and quicker option) and wrap it in transparent matte vinyl, like i did with my car

to everyone who doesnt know it looks like paint + it protects from stone chips + material is very cheap and very durable

check pics in this thread!
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...=976527&page=5
pages 5,8,9,12

my car is SSII originally.
__________________
M5 F10 '12 FS/Black, catless resonated RPi GTM
M3 E90 DCT '08 Jerez/Ext Bamboo Beige, E-Race GONE
mstmng is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
 
MattUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah sorry I deleted it after thinking I could just google it I like the idea of a clear wrap..

cheers!
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
mstmng
Major
 
Drives: M5 '12 Silverstone/Black
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Yeah sorry I deleted it after thinking I could just google it I like the idea of a clear wrap..

cheers!
i wrapped my car myself, so it is easier for you to ask questions me than google we are here to help
__________________
M5 F10 '12 FS/Black, catless resonated RPi GTM
M3 E90 DCT '08 Jerez/Ext Bamboo Beige, E-Race GONE
mstmng is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Axelf
Lieutenant
 
Axelf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Mineral White M3..
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durham

Posts: 419
iTrader: (3)

Hi MattUK..... i like you asked the question what was the M5 like??????? I can sum it up for you in one word AWESOME!!!!!!! I came from a 1M as you know they are limited to the number of them... last cout there was only 384 on the road in the UK out of 450, i had one from new and that car was just crazy, but i loved it...... I moved to a Monte Carlo Blue with Silverstone leather and i am so pleased i did... and you are choosing the best colour.. i am a little bias there like.... Just go for it you will love it, i only got 600 miles and i have loved every one of them..... and still more to come ....
__________________
/// 1M V O sadly gone

/// M5 2014 LCI Monte Carlo Blue and Silverstone leather... Sadly gone...

/// M3 2014 Mineral White...
Axelf is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Dionysus
Captain
 
Drives: M5 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
As much as I'd love to add the Competition Package, I think at 6k its overpriced, and buys many other options.

Maybe go for one of the 30yr edition specials at 91k
As 30 yahre is limited production, discounts will not be that good.

Base M5 discounts from list are around ~12K.

Base M6/M6GC ~30K.

+ 6K worth of Seat Ventilation, Power Close Doors/Boot, Heated Steering Wheel, Speed Limit Display, etc. will depreciate faster than 6K of CP on M5. I'm not suggesting that CP is the right thing to spec, just that the true cost of options can't be taken on face value.
Dionysus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
 
MattUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
One question I have.. is the M5 due a facelift, or has it recently had one? I've not been keeping track..
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Dionysus
Captain
 
Drives: M5 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
One question I have.. is the M5 due a facelift, or has it recently had one? I've not been keeping track..
5 series LCI happened mid last year (UK deliveries); 6 series LCI due soon.

M50d obviously not due for another couple of years, but have a look at some of the early adopter teething issues in the F15 section...

HTH.
Dionysus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
ufgtrs2007
dentite
 
ufgtrs2007's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 515
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Been supremely happy with my M5, even though no adjustable side bolsters or Competition Package. I was going to trade my M5 in for the new F80 M3 since all the people getting the F80 M3 said that it was going to be faster 0-60mph than the F10 M5, but it still slower, so now I don't think I'm going to do that.

Hope this helps bro.
Interesting despite all of the weight savings and extra torque that the new F80 is still slower. I'm a little disappointed by that, now I'm leaning towards adding the CP sway bars and possibly dampers/springs to help make the M5 handle a bit better.

I'm going to test drive the new F80 and make my decision
ufgtrs2007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #21
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
 
MattUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks for all the feedback As always only makes deciding all the more difficult but thats the fun part of getting a new car.

Seems the CP is the one to get, is it possible to retro fit from BMW at a later date?
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #22
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
If you can afford the LED's get them. They'll make you look as cool as Boots is when he rolling in the M5 with one hand at the 12 o'clock position, windows down and the RPi GTM roaring away. No but the High Beam assistant is super useful at night, but the LED's aren't really any brighter than the standard Xenons.

MPG is like 24mpg according to the U.S. Cycle. Super-awesome. Monte Carlo is the way go but, I'd stay away from the Piano Black trim, unless you don't mind staring at scratches all day. Power Boot Lid is a must and is what separates the real men from those sissy's who drive M6's and M6 Gran Coupe's who can't get that option. M Multi-Function Seats act exactly like the F60 seats (If the F60 were to ever exist).

Been supremely happy with my M5, even though no adjustable side bolsters or Competition Package. I was going to trade my M5 in for the new F80 M3 since all the people getting the F80 M3 said that it was going to be faster 0-60mph than the F10 M5, but it still slower, so now I don't think I'm going to do that.

Hope this helps bro.
Hilarious post RPiM5 -

So it is final that M3 is gonna be slower 0-60mph! !
I thought "Most powerful M ever made"
Well I figured that Q MILE trap will be lower than 120 mph but 0-60 I had my concerns -
soooma is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST