05-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Guys, help: Car vibration at contstant speed

Hi Community,
I am writing here requesting your help. Let me explain what I have been through:
I had a repair on My M5 F10 and I noticed vibrations in the car at a certain speed (around 145 km/h), that was with my OEM winter set, I reported it, BMW asked me to pay for 2 new wheels (rim and tire) both on the right side. I did it. Picked the car and drove away.
Because of winter conditions, I did not test it. Lately I asked them to install my 20inch 343 set. Again I noticed strong vibrations starting at 145 km/h till 180 km/h. Can’t feel it over 180 may be because of wind and aerodynamics.
I decided to visit a friend having a car shop. He lifted the car up and rolled it in the air. The result was extreme vibrations in the cabin and whole chassis at 145 km/h while the front wheels were standing and just the back ones were rotating. I filmed that and took the car to BMW.
Once there, I asked them to test it the same way I did (lift it up in the garage and not test drive iton uneve public roads. They confirmed the fact and instructed me to buy a new set of wheels 343 with new tires (ok, my tires were almost dead). They also asked me to buy one hub for the left back wheel, 4 new brake discs and calipers. I ordered waited 3 weeks. Now they installed it and guess what!
Nothing changed!!!
The chief engineer was away as on Friday but I decided to pick the car anyway. I am appointed Monday 1 pm. What should I do, what do you think.
PS: car vibrated at that speed in all gears, the vibration is noticeable on the steering wheel. The vibration is not stronger if you accelerate or decelerate. The vibration is there if car is lifted and front wheels are not turning...It is just there.

Last edited by sham; 05-17-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

Well, i was also in the group with the steering vibration…i guess i'll also post this reply in the other thread too. You say the vibration is there when the car is lifted and the wheels aren't moving? i don't think we have the same issue…maybe yours is related to the motor that controls the lane departure vibration? just a thought.

Mine was driving related and was progressive that worsened from 80+ mph, really noticeable at 100+ especially when cruising at constant speed or coasting. It was unrelated to the road surface and had an oscillating 'hum" to it that tended to make the hands feel like they were going numb for a while.

Long story short (well, maybe not so short), i finally took my car in for scheduled oil change and had them take a look at it. I explained that it had been there since i picked the car up new and that i had given the car some time and miles to see if it "work itself out" incase it was just a matter of breaking the tires or some of the components in as was previously suggested by some other forum members- i even sent my service advisor the link to the thread and he said his technician would look into it if needed.

They found that the front and rear right wheels were bent (rear worse than front). i had fortunately bought the tire and wheel package which covers road hazards It took 2 weeks of my dealer sending numerous pics to the stinking insurance company who handles the policies. The technician stated you can really see the wheel "hop" when on the machine, but it was difficult to show the bend in a still photo. Afterteh 2 weeks they approved and paid for the rear wheel replacement since they could see a tire mark on the rim which was apparently a sign of a good hit (mind you I never recalled hitting any major potholes in the 7000 miles I've had it), but they declined to cover the front one (acknowledged it was bent, but they said they couldn't be sure it was from a road hazard as there was no tire rub marks on the rim (WTF???).

My dealer was great , but it took an extra week of going back and forth, with the service manager sending the insurance co and BMW NA several messages (of which he rarely got a timely response). The dealer felt like it should have been covered because that main question was with normal daily driving how could i have bent the rear without hitting the front? And in the small chance that it was bent without hitting something, that means the wheel was defective to begin with; either way, we all agreed that the wheel should be replaced either as a defect or damaged from a hazard. So after 3 weeks of waiting (and my dealer getting no reply) i had a couple of very friendly conversations about BMW NA, the insurance co they use for their tire and wheel package, and the basic concept of customer service for a 6-figure car, especially when what we were requesting made perfect sense.

During the wait time in the final week I had them swap out my wheel with one from another M5 they had with miles on it to see if it would truly make a difference and they said the car rode smooth with no shudder/vibrations as before. The service manager sounded frustrated with BMW NA and they decided to goodwill my front wheel and bill BMW NA for it (he said that would get their attention). Just to be sure I also had an alignment done (mine wasn't way off, but i wanted to be sure). I've had the car back for a week now and on several occasions of faster driving, i can finally say that sensation is gone.

Now all I need to do is have them fix these damn rattles. All in all, I'm happy to have my car back and happy the vibration is gone. I love this car How the hell did both right wheels have bends? Could the front really have been a defect or i just hit something that didn't seem bad at the time? i don't' know about the latter because I picked the car up myself and it only had 5 miles on the odometer and i could feel it on the highway on the drive home… Hmmm

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
sham
Private
Poland
Rep

Guys, my problem is different
my car was lifted, front wheels standing, back ones rotating and the vibration was there.
We removed the wheels and tested again (just brake discs rotating). The vibration is still there and you could feel it in the the steering wheel despite the fact that the FRONT wheels were not rotating, the whole car was vibrating.
One more thing, it is not related to the engine or the gear box:
it vibrated 7th gear at around 2100 rpm or 6th gear around 2800 rpm, it is simply from a certain speed that it starts vibrating....
I am thinking or drive shaft, half shaft.....U joints,, dont know
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Just a thought. What if you take it up to that speed and then put it in neutral? The engine should slow quickly and the car should stay at the speed for a bit...maybe help narrow things down??
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
sham
Private
Poland
Rep

Hi Guys,
Car lifted, run till 3000 rpm, 7th gear. Vibration was there. Put it into N and let is slowly decelerate till 2000 rpm.
2nd run: car lifted in N, turned till 7000 rpm. No vibration.
So vibration is there between 150 and 180 km/h, front wheels standing, rear ones rotating...
Any clues?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

i had a vibration problem in a Jaguar XF Supercharged years ago that never got sorted out. My rims were bent and paid a lot of money multiple times getting the rims refinished to take the bends out. It happens from hitting potholes and bumps in the road
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham
Hi Guys,
Car lifted, run till 3000 rpm, 7th gear. Vibration was there. Put it into N and let is slowly decelerate till 2000 rpm.
2nd run: car lifted in N, turned till 7000 rpm. No vibration.
So vibration is there between 150 and 180 km/h, front wheels standing, rear ones rotating...
Any clues?
Definitely sounds like it's something in the transmission, drive shaft diff or half shafts.
Appreciate 0