M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
Tylerstar
Captain
Tylerstar's Avatar
21
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

M5 On Fire

ouchhh

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Drm5
Private
Puerto Rico
0
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: F10 M5 sakhir orange
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Puerto rico

iTrader: (0)

Shit...

I hope the driver is alright wish we can say that is the one taking the video...
What happen?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
RPiM5
Brigadier General
RPiM5's Avatar
90
Rep
4,825
Posts

 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

I wonder what happened.
__________________
Why did Santa Claus buy a BMW M5 instead of an M4? Because he needed the back seats for his Ho Ho Ho's.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
boots
Colonel
boots's Avatar
33
Rep
2,430
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

Not good for anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,574
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Individual M5
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Is it karma for us P owners?
__________________
2013 BMW INDIVIDUAL ///M5 {Frozen Black/Amaro Brown/Amaro Brown Alcantara/White Contrast Stitching/Piano Black Trim}
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
wrsbmw
Captain
wrsbmw's Avatar
9
Rep
762
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 2013 M5 Amazonite Silver
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Austin, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I wonder what happened.
Original thread here. Not a good story either.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
ufgtrs2007
dentite
ufgtrs2007's Avatar
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: '15 F80 M3, '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sorry for the owner and the way BMW handled his situation. I wonder if we have anything to worry about?!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,618
Posts

 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA View Post
Safety is the cornerstone of BMWs engineering philosophy, which is why our Product Investigation Team conducted a thorough investigation to determine what happened. The BMW M5 involved was not found to have any defect or malfunction which would have led to the incident in question.
Who cares !!
Freaking m5 on fire!
I have an M5 LCI because of reputation and if your reputation because of this Jay Hanson guy is that bad my next car won't be an M5 and I will make sure to spread the word everywhere if this is how you treat your customers!
Shame on you Jay Hanson
You should be fired after this thread!!
Shame on you BMW NA
I have a lot more trust in BMW in Germany because of personal previous nice experience as they took care of my cousin in another country after a simple email on a car 2009 BMW out of warranty which really surprised me but wasn't BMW NA and I would reach out to them any time I have issues with the latter.

Totally surprised!
Paying for a car close to a price of a house and you get this type of treatment !! Shame Shame Shame !!
I have to give credit to Hendrick BMW though they treat their customers with respect and I dealt with Chris Blocker before but I believe he left the dealership and he was very courteous and cares about BMW reputation and his customers' satisfaction and my SA is Luca a very young guy but him and Nate Coffey are probably the best two in that dealership and Matt Neiss was professional too.
I don't buy my cars from them though because of the markup but I believe they are one of the best BMW dealerships in the whole country.

And a person named Charles once handled a claim for me about a year ago who was sent from BMW NA and he was super professional and courteous too,

So I am totally amazed why this case of M5 on fore was handled so poorly!!
I am so spreading this and I do it whenever a car company thinks they can get away with something like this !!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
MichaelJohn
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
226
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Silverstone M5
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

No defect or malfunction? What then, spontaneous combustion? Come on BMWNA, step up your game. We need a better answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
MoeDaher
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

That was my car! I am Ok and luckily my 5year old was not with me when this happened. If you follow the thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=767078 the car locked up right after I got out. No word from BMW NA except their automatic reply to that thread. When I filed a case with BMW NA Jay Hanson gave me the option wait 6 months, continue paying for the car, or file with your insurance. I filed with my insurance and they took care of me. once I withdrew my claim they released the car to the insurance! You would think they would care more about the cause as they claim safety is their cornerstone!!! It amazes me what kind of investigation they claim they did after the car was released to the insurance, and somehow IF they did one it took less than 6 months after the insurance paid for it!
I hope this never happens to anyone else, but if it does and someone searches for this topic or fires please file a claim with http://www.nhtsa.gov/ that might stop BMW from ignoring fires like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
PatrickC23's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,755
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Ok this one def has my attention, and so does BMW's BS response. If this has happened more than once (not that once is OK) and goes unaddressed, I'd easily walk away from BMW. At the very least there should be an explanation. I am still astounded that companies don't realize the effect the Internet can have.

Subscribed.
__________________
Retired - 2009 C63 l 2007 Supercharged RRS l 2002 e46 SMG ///M3 l 2001 e46 330ci

2013 Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 - 20" Modulare Matte Titanium Brushed B18s - Coded by the best, V12
2014 Jeep JKU Wrangler Willys Wheeler W Unlimited - Granite Crystal/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,618
Posts

 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Ok this one def has my attention, and so does BMW's BS response. If this has happened more than once (not that once is OK) and goes unaddressed, I'd easily walk away from BMW. At the very least there should be an explanation. I am still astounded that companies don't realize the effect the Internet can have.

Subscribed.
+ My next car won't be a BMW unless we get a reasonable response and I am.already a big fan of Audi and love Audi S6 and RS5! ! And a lot cheaper!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
PatrickC23's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,755
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDaher View Post
That was my car! I am Ok and luckily my 5year old was not with me when this happened. If you follow the thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=767078 the car locked up right after I got out. No word from BMW NA except their automatic reply to that thread. When I filed a case with BMW NA Jay Hanson gave me the option wait 6 months, continue paying for the car, or file with your insurance. I filed with my insurance and they took care of me. once I withdrew my claim they released the car to the insurance! You would think they would care more about the cause as they claim safety is their cornerstone!!! It amazes me what kind of investigation they claim they did after the car was released to the insurance, and somehow IF they did one it took less than 6 months after the insurance paid for it!
I hope this never happens to anyone else, but if it does and someone searches for this topic or fires please file a claim with http://www.nhtsa.gov/ that might stop BMW from ignoring fires like this.

What did you mean by "the car locked up right after I got out"? As in the doors locked and you would not have been able to get a child out without smashing a window?

I hope BMWNA is in this forum as well as Im sure this is going to drum up some serious attention in here - from their most loyal fan base as well.
__________________
Retired - 2009 C63 l 2007 Supercharged RRS l 2002 e46 SMG ///M3 l 2001 e46 330ci

2013 Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 - 20" Modulare Matte Titanium Brushed B18s - Coded by the best, V12
2014 Jeep JKU Wrangler Willys Wheeler W Unlimited - Granite Crystal/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
skypx's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDaher View Post
That was my car! I am Ok and luckily my 5year old was not with me when this happened.
Oh my goodness! I am releaved to know you and your family are ok, and at the same time sick to my stomach to learn that this is how bmwna handles these situations.

If it were me, I would give them the time to conduct their investigation, then take them to court. I always knew bmwna is a pita to deal with, but this is inexcusable!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
33
Rep
2,450
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (1)

Before anyone gets bashed on a public forum, let's take a step back and rationally try to figure out what company such as BMW should reply on a public forum.
There are lots of attorney involved and BMW's whole legal team to figure out the best way to handle the situation. They cannot post on a forum that it is their fault and they built a $hitty $100k plus car. However, they will take care of us as BMW loyal customers and I am pretty sure behind the scenes they will make it right for the owner of the burned car.
That quoted response is exactly what their legal team drafted for them to avoid litigation or negative publicity so let's not freak out here and take it one step at a time and see what the outcome is. On a good note, nobody got hurt and the car can be replaced.
__________________
Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph 1/2 mile 160.7mph
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
tooch
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
677
Posts

 
Drives: F82
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NOR-CAL

iTrader: (0)

That sucks Glad nobody got hurt
__________________

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 SB DCT (June build)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
PatrickC23's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,755
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Before anyone gets bashed on a public forum, let's take a step back and rationally try to figure out what company such as BMW should reply on a public forum.
There are lots of attorney involved and BMW's whole legal team to figure out the best way to handle the situation. They cannot post on a forum that it is their fault and they built a $hitty $100k plus car. However, they will take care of us as BMW loyal customers and I am pretty sure behind the scenes they will make it right for the owner of the burned car.
That quoted response is exactly what their legal team drafted for them to avoid litigation or negative publicity so let's not freak out here and take it one step at a time and see what the outcome is. On a good note, nobody got hurt and the car can be replaced.
I dont think they should respond in a public forum at all actually. But the individual it happened to should have an answer. Obviously there are two sides to a story, but BMW's half assed meaningless response was a bit condescending to me. If the other side of this story is true however, it doesnt seem like BMW did anything other than give him the an easy choice and a very difficult choice. Again, I'd like to see how this concludes.
__________________
Retired - 2009 C63 l 2007 Supercharged RRS l 2002 e46 SMG ///M3 l 2001 e46 330ci

2013 Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 - 20" Modulare Matte Titanium Brushed B18s - Coded by the best, V12
2014 Jeep JKU Wrangler Willys Wheeler W Unlimited - Granite Crystal/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
NlckyBlack
Captain
NlckyBlack's Avatar
Greece
6
Rep
612
Posts

 
Drives: Too many cars
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bergen County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

the doors locked up after you got out? Glad to hear your ok, could have been tons worse.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
chong0
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
237
Posts

 
Drives: '13 M5 Space Gray/Sakhir
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

read the thread and obviously a concerning event that could affect all m5 owners. very sorry for your loss. a few questions:

-there seems to be concern that dsc and the snow running on summer tires may have caused this. did you see the dsc light on your entire 6 mile ride back to home? having been caught in the snow on the Michelin pss, there is poor traction but certainly should not have been on the entire time.

-one you filed claim with your insurance company, does this alter the attitude for customer relations since you got paid? ie if you chose to continue paying for a charred car would this change the approach of bmw na?

-porsche has an e brake I believe similar to the bmw ebrake and also automatically shuts off when you try to reverse or move forward with the brake still on. Have there been similar porsche e brake failures?

very interested to hear if more comes out of this. very surprised (yet somewhat encouraged) that bmw does have someone active on the web forums although their response was very tepid.
__________________

--------
'13 M5
'12 Cayenne 6MT
'09 328xiT 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
MoeDaher
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

I got out of the car when I saw smoke, when the fire department came they could not open any of the doors so they had to break the window to open the doors
when the fire burnt the wires nothing worked any more. My daughter's car seat was on the side where the fire started, if she had been with me that would have been right underneath her, and I do not know what I would have done had she been there with a locked door.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #21
MoeDaher
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Before anyone gets bashed on a public forum, let's take a step back and rationally try to figure out what company such as BMW should reply on a public forum.
There are lots of attorney involved and BMW's whole legal team to figure out the best way to handle the situation. They cannot post on a forum that it is their fault and they built a $hitty $100k plus car. However, they will take care of us as BMW loyal customers and I am pretty sure behind the scenes they will make it right for the owner of the burned car.
That quoted response is exactly what their legal team drafted for them to avoid litigation or negative publicity so let's not freak out here and take it one step at a time and see what the outcome is. On a good note, nobody got hurt and the car can be replaced.
As I mentioned my insurance paid for the car, so there was nothing behind the scenes that BMW NA did and I do not want anything from them. I reached out several times with emails and letters to try to know what the problem was but was totally ignored. The only response I had was their automatic bimmerfest reply.
The reason I am taking this to web posts is because I am worried this might happen to someone else, and to make it clear that if it does then it is not an isolated incident and they should report it to the NHTSA.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
MoeDaher
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
read the thread and obviously a concerning event that could affect all m5 owners. very sorry for your loss. a few questions:

-there seems to be concern that dsc and the snow running on summer tires may have caused this. did you see the dsc light on your entire 6 mile ride back to home? having been caught in the snow on the Michelin pss, there is poor traction but certainly should not have been on the entire time.

-one you filed claim with your insurance company, does this alter the attitude for customer relations since you got paid? ie if you chose to continue paying for a charred car would this change the approach of bmw na?

-porsche has an e brake I believe similar to the bmw ebrake and also automatically shuts off when you try to reverse or move forward with the brake still on. Have there been similar porsche e brake failures?

very interested to hear if more comes out of this. very surprised (yet somewhat encouraged) that bmw does have someone active on the web forums although their response was very tepid.
The DSC light would come on and off, it was not on the entire time.

They did not care before my insurance paid me and certainly do not care now. They only reason they might answer anything is because of public posts like this.

I do not know of any Porsche incidents, but this time I got the ceramic brakes. Plus I got an all wheel drive this time!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST