United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
It was 4 wheel drive so puts the power down from rest much better.
Yes from all the reviews so far the AMG Merc and the M5 have so much power/torque that it becomes a problem at times putting that power down to the road....the S6 with AWD has less power but does it albeit more effectively with AWD involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
I am also pretty sceptical about the M5 3.7 to 60 mph time. The only way they could have done that is in perfect conditions. And probably with a roll out too which really makes the time meaningless.

It does not surprise me that the S6 jumps faster given it is AWD. The M5 will absolutely eat it once it gets up and running and stops spinning its wheels (which I am finding a real issue, or at least the electronic intervention to stop the wheels spinning is an issue)
That said with the increased HP/torque both the M5 and AMG Merc will definately catch the S6/S7 down the straight and have faster 100mph times as well! More steam to get rolling but once it does...the S6 is at a hp/torque disadvantange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would rather have an M5 if money was not involved, but it is! just like why I bought a C63 over the M3, I would have loved to own either and prefer BMW, but I was able to get the MErcedes for $12,500 off sticker (brand new) and BMW would only give me about $4,000 off (Mercedes had a huge corporate incentive back in 2009 when the economy was crashing). Same goes here, if I can get the S6 for $20K less that would be hard to pass up, lots I could do with that extra $20K, take the family on some nice vacations!
On a strictly emotional decision yeah price would go out the window and if pockets are endless then yeah too..its buyer's choice. However you cannot knock $20-25k discount of the S6 over the M5 and the AMG! Not in this economy even for those with job security and doing well. I doubt they just ignore that kinda of money saved. As said above...that's college tuition or family vacation or investment or better yet mod money on the table to consider! I'd think hard on that one myself!

I ended up with an A7 myself instead of a 535i Xdrive or any of the Mercedes offerings last July. BMW 550i was available but at the price point went with the Audi instead as the M5 was not available yet. I had come from my second M3 an e92 coupe and have done two M schools and a performance delivery so am very familar with the M and BMW brand). Can't knock the Audi; its very quick and interior and styling are top notch..other than exhaust vocals and yes I do agree it is NOT an M which you do miss at times! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
C&D results
M5 0-100 mp/h: 8.3
Audi S6 0-100 mp/h: 9.2

Considering Audi's AWD and M5's RWD, at 100 mp/h M5 will be about 9 car lengths ahead, even more a roll. Audi S6 is more a competitor to a Mercedes E550 4matic and BMW 550i xDrive (and new M550d xDrive), and those are all more than $20k cheaper than M5. It's the AWD vs RWD which is helps S6 have equal 0-60 time, after that it gets destroyed. Let's see what the new RS6 will be capable of, I raced an RS6 (C06) yesterday and it was barely visible in the mirror when I was at 300 km/h.
Now the RS6/7 will be the car to compare to! I'd like to see that compared to the M5 for sure as that will be my next upgrade. Am looking at the M5 but there are other options. Wife has a Panamera also and find it to be a great car albeit in the V8, or GTS, or 4S offerings...Turbo is just unreal power and of course $$! LOL However doubt we'll get an RS-6/7 here in the US though.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0