View Single Post
      06-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #38
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Having driven a CTS-V sedan and Coupe on track. I can say that it is a very nice performance machine. I would not mind having a CTS-V coupe in my garage. I have a lot of respect for Caddy to make a decent performance machine at a good price point. Hopefully they can make next one even better.

However, there are some draw backs to the CTS-V that they did mention and few that they ignored or forgot to mention.

1. The most obvious CTS-V auto sucks. Anybody buying a CTS-V should avoid it. Unless off course they do not know how to drive stick.

2. The CTS-V interior is not even on par with last M5 much less F10. Sure the interior is not bad for American car. However, it lacks refinement, built quality and for some reason has overly shinny wood trim that looks like fake plastic. Needs improvement to be on par with German/Japanese car makers.

3. The navigation system is also not on par with German or Japanese luxury car makers.

4. The seats are OK but not as good as the one found in M5.

5. Having driven the CTS-V full tilt on track I can tell you the car does not sound like American muscle car. It was a disappointment hearing it while driving it or standing by the pit wall. For being a detuned ZR1 engine this thing should sound far more aggressive. In need of a good exhaust setup. So I do not get why they criticize the M5 in sound department on the inside and not this car.

6. Last but not least two minor issues. One that the gaps between rear/front fenders and tires are huge compared to say M3 or M5 cars. Second, the steering is precise, has plenty of feed back and has nice suede finish. However, it is a bit to light for my taste. I like the heft on BMW hydraulic steering racks.

As for M5 what can I say it is a beast. I am not getting when few people say they expected better. It is a one and a half second quicker around track then a similarly equal powered V8 performance car making 556hp. Now with DCT it would have made the gap even bigger. Just cause Caddy has a useless auto one should not penalize the M5. Because M division has done a fantastic job with their DCT performance transmission.

Also, Road and Track must have lost its mind for giving M5 17.9 points in transmission CTS-V full 20. The M5 clearly has superior transmissions choices (DCT & fairly good 6-spd) overall compared to Caddy with its crappy choices (horrible auto & fairly good 6-spd). I think they must have done this to make it look closer then it was. Come on R&T you guys totally messed up on that one. Exterior looks is an opinion but M5 is better looking then the CTS-V.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 06-23-2012 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0