10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #152
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
If it weren't so sad many of the comments made would be humorous. People are making assumptions without knowing what they're talking about and then try to treat their assumptions as facts. After treating their unsupported assumption as a fact they go off the deep end!

I don't think anybody here knows what BMW is trying to do to fix the problem let alone know what BMW's motivation is. Some comments indicate that the writer believes that BMW has singled them out so BMW could make an extra effort to make their life miserable. If that were the case, based upon how some have described their behavior, I wouldn't blame BMW -- but I don't think BMW would waste its time and the extra effort!

But as long as we're making assumptions and treating them as facts I'll tell you what I think. I think BMW is trying its best to get pumps that are not available in sufficient quantities to meet demand to dealers and VPCs in a fair and equitable manner. To do this they have kept track, by VIN, of each car that will have its pump replaced. According to the recall list, all but a handfull of cars are identified with a specific dealer. Some are cars that have already been delivered to customers, some are European Delivery cars and are on their way to the U. S. (including mine) and some may be cars purchased by a dealer for their own stock and haven't been sold to a customer yet. I think BMW is allocating the available pumps on a pro-rata basis based upon the number of cars each dealer has on the recall list. They'll do this until supply catches up with demand. This is the way they treat all dealers fairly so one dealer doesn't get all the pumps he needs and a nearby dealer that needs pumps doesn't get any. It's the same way BMW NA allocates new models to dealers. When a dealer actually gets the pumps BMW has shipped is also influenced by factors more under the control of the shipping process than BMW.

The only relationship to a VIN is to know how many pumps each dealer needs. Remember, you can't buy a car from BMW, you can only buy a new BMW from a dealer. If a dealer has 8 cars on the recall list and receives 5 pumps in the intial batch the dealer decides which cars they go on. BMW sells cars to dealers, not us. For this reason BMW NA can't tell the dealer which car to put them on, BMW doesn't own the car (or the dealership for that matter). All BMW knows and can do is recognize how many cars it sold to each dealer that need their pump replaced and send that dealer that many pumps as soon as it can. It appears to me (an assumption, not a fact) that is what BMW is doing.

I now turn this program back to the fiction writers!
This may seem silly and perhaps a bit simple...but based on the comments made in the thread and your lengthy post, I don't quite get your point. I think most if not all people here have made comments they acknowledge to be speculation or rumor. I don't think any of us here work for BMW NA. Forums have a purpose and I think when something like this happens, they serve that purpose at their best: to provide a medium whereby the consumer may vent and express his/her grievances/challenges with a product, and perhaps even gain satisfying information/assistance on said product. Most people here from what I can tell are more pissed off by the way the recall has been handled as far as the ammunition of info dealers have been provided (or not) by BMW NA to allow them to handle bitching pissed off consumers who just spent over 100 grand on a vehicle and are now told they can't drive for weeks. I don't think most of the gripe here is over how BMW NA is actually handling the recall process. It's about being left in the dark. Consumers don't deserve to be left in the dark. Nor should they have to give a shit whose fault it is. You manufacture a product, and you use a middle "man" to get it to me. I pay for it. It should work. If you screw it up and take it back, you need to say when that's gonna be fixed or at least provide those who speak directly to me with that kind of information so I can be at ease/plan my life/ whatever. Anyway, that's just my two cents. What do i know