Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
As I promised I shot a video of the car accelerating to its top speed. It seems that at exactly 328 km/h or 316 km/h on v-box there is yet another limiter.
Thanks for your efforts at testing the limits of this car. I wonder why BMW has felt it necessary to have redundant limiters? Would they even answer the question if it were put to them? I speculate that they have built an engine that will be their base power plant for a number of years, and merely through programming changes will be able to match the competition if the horsepower continues to escalate. It seems they don't want their customers to be able to reach the full potential of what this car is able to deliver, and wish to reserve that achievement for the factory.
I would guess that the DCT or parts of the drivetrain, which the second limiter is supposedly related to, are not rated for speeds (RPMs encountered)over 190 or whatever the second limiter is set. It would suck to have a drive shaft, joint, clutch, flywheel or whatever reach it's limit and give up at 200mph.
Appreciate 0