10-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #151
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
I had the Dinan stage 1 installed yesterday on my M6 CP . Was going with the stage 2 but Dinan changed their software this week so the dealer has to enter the VIN of the vehicle . The software then selects the appropriate software version for you're car and I assume adds VIN lock security for their files . At any rate a stage 2 isn't available for the M6 so it will be a couple of weeks until I get the stage 2 file uploaded . On to what you want to know .
I was fully expecting the BMS set at 3.5 on 93 octane to be as fast or faster than the stage 1 Dinan . I have fully defended the BMS on several occasions on the forum and it was effective at mKing my car faster . I decided to switch because of throttle modulation issues I noticed on track and the strip with the BMS and a limp mode issue on track from high EGT . It was apparent from when I looked at the harness for the Dinan and BMS the difference between the products technically are far more than I thought . The Dinan ECU has factory looms that tie directly into each banks ECU . It does far more than fool the TMAP sensor like the BMS and looks it , really quality parts . I expected quality equipment what I didn't expect was the Dinan stage 1 IS FASTER significantly than the BMS set to 3.5 on 93 octane . The BMS makes more tq down around 3 k but that came with slight delay then tq surge especially when trying to modulate the throttle or coming off boost, it also would cause a delay in mid rpm shifts in 1st and 2nd gear . The Dinan has stock throttle response , the DCT shifts instantly again in ANY situation and the car pulls significantly harder than the BMS above 5k RPM . It's enough where it is very obvious that the car is faster( > 30 hp at 6k ) .I am fully pleased with it so far and its worth it to me just for the increased drivability and safety alone . (10/10 DCT function and throttle modulation for the Dinan, really worlds different between the two ) When the weather cools off again to a neutral DA I will do full testing in my level location as numbers will be the definitive word .
Ditto on the drive-ability issues with the BMS JB's. Had the same experience with the JB's on previous BMW's (335 and 535). The wife could not tell the difference but I could easily tell when I drove her car. She drives a new GC SRT and definitely loves the throttle response of that ride. I am trying to figure out how to sneak it away from her and get the Magnusson SC on it. Guys on the SRT forum are running zero to 60 in the three's with the supercharger mod.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0