View Single Post
      03-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
So not counting the theater, all of the other rooms the wires all run into a single point in the house? For example, do you have everything running into a utility room in the basement? Or do you have wires sticking out of the walls in each room so they don't all make it back to the same place?

Theater - you have JUST ceiling speakers? A much more conventional setup for a dedicated theater is front wall with TV will have left, center, right speakers and 1 or 2 subs. Then in the ceiling you'd have 2 or 4 speakers for surround. Could also do those in stands behind sofa or rear / side walls depending on size and layout of room. You would typically use a single receiver to handle all of that with an additional sub amp. I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with the options you mentioned. For watching movies or whatever it all has to work together you don't just have duplicates of the same thing.

Hope this doesn't come off as basic stuff or talking to you like you're dumb or anything - based on your radio shack comment I assume you had nothing to do with the design and whoever did was a total jackass and built things in the easiest / cheapest way to advertise "whole home sound" when selling the place originally.

In wall speakers really depends on budget and what you're looking to accomplish. Remember all of this is only as good as the weakest link so if you spend big $ to R&R everything with Sonance Beryllium Tweeter gear and drive it with a crap source, you're wasting your money. Some of it also driven by size of what you have now, want bigger gear, etc. Also type of construction will dictate limits to a certain extent. My brother wanted a money no object totally nuts home theater but we had to settle for the best soundbar money can buy since the wall the TV needed to go on was an exterior wall of a 200 year old part of the house that was solid granite so no way to install speakers.
Appreciate the help here. Let me explain what I'm dealing with. Remember, we still have ten "ceiling" speakers in total that I'm trying to make work. And yes, this was probably all done when the house was being built, hence the rap Radio Shack speakers that are in there now.

Everything is wired to all ten speakers, and they work, since I rigged them all carefully one by one to my receiver by putting on temporary splices. Not clean, but at least now I know. All cables for those ten speakers come out to a central location, as per the photo I posted above. That's in my TV room/home theater room. There, I have a 3.1 system now (all B&W, powered by a Sony ES receiver). Connecting the two in-ceiling speakers in that room will make it 5.1.

Formal dining room has two in-ceiling speakers
Master bath has two in-ceiling speakers
My deck has two outdoor speakers
Master bedroom has two in-ceiling speakers

I don't need audiophile quality such as what you're describing as having in your house.
Appreciate 0