Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
Two women in 4 series' that could have died but survived in the last couple days. There's something to be said about the safety and engineering in those cars. It makes either want to buy one or never drive one.
Yep. Was scanning this thread for a post like this.

They usually go like "Yep! BMW engineering!"

Or "Yep! Mercedes engineering!" or

insert your favorite brand engineering.

Not, really. Cars today are all more or less equal in terms of safety. Although as violent as that seems on the video, it wasn't that bad as the car more or less gently slid under that big rig side. Had that BMW hit the side of that trailer directly while driving perpendicular at say 20mph or so, the roof would've sheered off like tissue paper instantly decapitating the driver-- as it would with ANY car.

BMW engineering (today) is pretty good, but so is any new car on the market from any brand. The survival of these particular people in this crash wasn't really due to any engineering of some sort, just the luck of how the impact occurred. And how the big rig driver came to a gradual slow stop and drag instead of overreacting and jackknifing--that could've been very bad.

Either way, glad they didn't get hurt. Hope the G37 dude is caught.
I'm more impressed with the one that fell out of the parking garage. I mean, didn't you see Fast and the Furious? The first one?? Honda Civics slid under big rigs all day with underglow kits on! All bullshit aside though, I whole heartedly believe that there are a lot of other cars that would have had a corpse inside upon opening the door.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0