10-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
Ashley Schaifer BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkai0 View Post
^He speaks the truth. I’ve had at least $16,000 of warranty repairs on my car since 2016. My car only has 39k on it.
For my own edification, what repairs did you have that cost $16,000?

I'm in a similar situation, trying to justify a 3rd party warranty, however, something would have to be catastrophic for a $4k+ warranty to be justified with my simple math and looking at part costs. For instance, SuperF10 cited four (4) injectors needing replacing, a coil pack, and bushings. All of this, from a parts perspective, just don't justify a need for a warranty (i.e., you'd have a net loss for what the warranty cost and what the warranty covered if no more problems arose). Albeit, this is assuming you are not paying dealer prices.

I think the biggest killer is labor. Again, this is where the dealerships make a ton of money. However, it appears these engines are pretty straightforward to work on if you're in to that kind of thing, which can save a ton.

Plus, if something like the DCT fails--i'd rather fix the problem with a more robust clutch pack--something a warranty will not do.

I'd say the biggest thing that would keep me up at night are electrical issues, which do become costly, however, many 3rd party warranties exclude electrical problems to a degree.

These are my thoughts, if I'm off base--I apologize and mean no disrespect. Any car troubles are always a pain to deal with.
Appreciate 0