01-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #10
BBONG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
Having had both ,the only reason I now have an M3 is that my M5 got written off, the M5 is more of a cruiser (and a bloody quick one at that) the M3 is more raw with more road noise as its not as well insulated. Used to find myself going alot faster in the M5 than I did the M3 just because it didn't feel as fast. Also the power delivery is very different with the M5 giving a brutal kick where as the M3 seems more linear. That being said I would say performance wise they are pretty close. Both stock 0-100mph wouldn't be much in it and the M5 might start to pull away after that. Tuned I'd say they would probably be similar depending on tunes of course (I've only put a CS map on mine for now, but my M5 I had a BM3 stage 2 tune on then went to stage 1 openflash) My M3 has more toys but then its a 2018 car and my M5 was 2013.. I did contemplate getting another M5 but there weren't any at dealers close to me and I saw the M3 and thought why not!

M5 was more comfortable with more space. M3 is still a nice place to be but seats are firmer and less space in the back but is alot more nimble and planted (can be partial to a bit of lift of over steer if you aren't paying attention).

Exhaust wise my M5 had straight through exhaust and my M3 has secondary cat and resonator delete and I would say they are both very loud (the M5 didn't notice unless the windows were down) M3 with the valves closed is quieter at idle tho! but I still switched off cold start as it was too much. Stock the M5 is very muted in the cabin so stock for stock M3 is louder

Lastly the M5 used to cost me about £80 a week in fuel the M3 is about £60

wow thank you for taking your time to explain the different. I am deeply appreciated.
Appreciate 0