View Single Post
      02-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #40
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I forgive BMW for their three tier Ms now a days. They are trying to get some of the money tuners have gotten for years tuning Ms. So the Competition is a low level tune. The CS is a higher tune.

I never tune my car, so the base M is fine for me.
This is pretty close to truth in my opinion. The additional “tiers” are a way for BMW to edge into the tuner world.

And it’s clear to me from this discussion that M still holds a “special” place for their owners. And I get that. I drive a C7 Grand Sport, and that’s as middle child as Corvettes get. Yet, it’s special to me. I’ve spent about as much time customizing it to my taste as I have for my MZ4 Coupe.

Still doesn’t change the fact that the M brand is so diluted that buying an M car now-a-days doesn’t feel like buying an M car 5, 10, 15 years ago. Even *I* go “meh. It’s just another M” when I see a current gen M3/4/5/6/x2/x3/x4/x5/x6/8 parked at the local mall.

And I had such high hopes for the M2, that now it pains me to say “meh. It’s just another M” when I see one drive by.

So it’s sort of a circular logic/argument. If I’m disillusioned enough to make a post like this and have this sort of sentiment about BMW’s Motorsport division, ME, a 30 year long BMW M fanboi...What does that say about ///M’s unique place amongst the automotive excellence pantheon?

The ///M King is dead. Long live bland “majority rule” representative democracy?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0