Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Lots of responses on this simple post, but:
yes the battery has to be "registered" after install.

with this, trust me, take it to the dealership and pay for their OEM battery that you know will be the right amperage and they are going to register it correctly because if that is not done right your car is going to be foooked.

i am a DIYer but i let them do that crap

that message you were receiving could also be from a leech in the system ...comfort access could be going bad and drawing power nonstop or you could have a constant draw from a bad solenoid somewhere
You realize this is a really old post, right?

Battery registration is easy and if you read through the thread you would see that I have the software to do such... the same software the dealer uses. The dealer is not a magician.

It's not hard to match amperage. Read the label on your current battery, buy that battery. Then use ISTA to confirm that amperage is registered in the system, confirm battery replacement was carried out and you're all set. If you don't have ISTA or Carly/Bimmercode then yes, you will need to take to the dealer.

The message I occasionally got was from a weak battery. Nothing more. If I had a draw, the message would probably pop up daily and eventually (by now) the battery would have been low enough to not start the vehicle.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the door handle. It could be useful for members searching for info in the future that are not aware of the potential for failure.
Appreciate 1