01-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #3598
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
The only one I would possibly put in that category would be OGD114.

Plus, I must say your price ranges seem odd on the Makers too. I can get the Makers for $22 and the Makers 46 for $37, which I would put the 46 above just about everything on your list. Talking in the $40 price range, I also get Wild Turkey Rare Breed, which for me tops the 46 also.
Once again, prices vary widely by region... Maker's is $35 around my area in most places. I can get it cheaper on base, but again, why would I want to when I prefer so many other bourbons over it.

I haven't tried OGD114 but I'll look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Well, when you're allowing for a 30% price variance, I'm not sure that really qualifies for "the same" money. But to your list:
I went with the price you quoted "sub-$30". In my area Maker's is ~$35 to begin with so not a big price variance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
I'd argue that most of those bourbons listed aren't objectively "better" than Maker's. Some are, most are not. I prefer Eagle Rare to Maker's, but I'd take Maker's over BT all day. I'd put Four Roses yellow label below Maker's, same with Larceny, IMO.
So now we are trying to quantify "better."

IMO Jim Beam and Jack Daniels are the Coors and Budweiser of bourbons, and Maker's is the Michelob. Cheap, mass-produced, and bland/sweet without any real character. That means it is repeatably well-produced, but definitely not "better" than any of the products I listed.

I'd even take Bulleit over Maker's, as a mixer it's a much better flavor profile.

Guess we'll all have to agree to disagree. As long as you have a good every-day bourbon you like to drink, I'll just say "cheers"
Appreciate 0