Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
I'm not comparing the two, I was pointing out the drastic difference between the two. OP was indicating that his F30 335i with the M Performance package was basically the same car and feel as the M340i just not assembled that way out of the factory. Not even close.
What? You wrote: "margin between your F30 PPK is far greater to the M340i, than the slim margin between M340i and the F80 M3." That's the textbook example of a comparison. This post you write "I was pointing out the drastic difference between the two". Basically confirming a comparison. Moving on...

To everyone else: As someone who had a F30 then had a long term loaner M340i (long story) they don't seem all that dissimilar to me. The diff is probably the biggest separator to me. Will say this though, the G20 is definitely an improvement over the F30 in my opinion. Furthermore, previous to the M2 I had a M235i. The 228i is closer to the M235i than the M235i is to the M2. Not to say any of these are bad cars, far from it. At the end of the day, get what makes you happy. But if you think the M performance cars are the full M experience (whatever that's worth these days) then I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not trying what the full "M"s have to offer. If you tried both and still like the M performance better; I won't criticize that decision. It's a matter of personal preference, value, etc. At the end of the day, these are all fantastic cars especially when compared to some of the competition from other brands.
Apologies I think you misunderstood the premise, I was pointing out the discrepancies. There is actually no direct comparison; an M is an M and the flagship, no one questions that as stated several times. However if there is a comparison between the "non-M's" in question it's not close IMO. As you stated the M340i is quite worthy with a differential which makes a huge difference in any car. Is it worthy of the BMW M badge? To ///M purists no because of what the essence and nostalgia of what M is, to me and more importantly BMW GmbH believe yes because it has all the performance checkmarks (to be an M-lite) that were lacking in a non-M ✅.
Appreciate 1
pz6193281.50