10-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #7941
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Yeah, i hit the wipers on the test drive and my wife let out a little squeal when she saw there were 3. She appreciates weird vehicles as much as I do.

It's replacing our 89 Delica camp/ski mobile that we just sold. So the basic plan is to outfit for camping, skiing, and longer road trips than we dared take in the Delica. I kept our ARB awning and zip in tent room from the Delica build to that'll get installed as soon as I trash the OEM roof rack and replace with a full roof Baja rack. Then It'll just be bolt on parts let steel bumpers, skid plate, winch, Jerry cans, lighting, a bigger tires. I actually like the OEM wheels. May have them powder coated bronze. Sleeping platform inside. That about it. No crazy suspension or engine mods. We want it to get us around comfortably, reliably, in all conditions. Going to venture out to Yellowstone, Tahoe, Moab, Black Hills, etc. over the next year or two as work schedules allow.
Sounds like a good and reliable setup. It's great with the off-road variant of Toyotas... Drive them a hundred thousand miles and sell it five years later for what you bought it for. Great recipe. We'll have similar plans for trips, but just out here in the east. Wish we could get to what you guys have out there...

I've been a Jeep guy since day 0 (mom was pregnant with me in her little CJ, my first car was a Wrangler, list goes on), but I'm in the middle of cutting a deal for a final year 80 Series Land Cruiser right now. Crazy to think out of the dozens of vehicles I've owned, this will by my first Toyota. Pretty stoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Nice! I love those things! Came really close to buying one a few years ago, but the guy thought he had Range Rover and wanted WAY too much for it. My only dislike is the white top. They should have made black and gray an option. Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I actually like the white top. Reminds me of an old Range Rover or FJ-40.
I was reading through your post quickly and saw that it reminded you of a Range Rover and was thinking... "You mean it didn't remind you of a 40 series...?" Got ahead of myself.

My uncle bought one of these new back in the day; I don't think he had it for a week and he brought it in to have the white painted to match the body. Sleek look, but just didn't seem right...
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11483.00