View Single Post
      01-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Update:
So now that the problem has been remedied for quite some time I've decided to add to the post.
Once in the shop I informed them of the ticking noise and all of my other worries and left them too it.

Later that day the manager gave me a call asking me about what my maintenance intervals are on oil changes. I informed him of my 5k oil change practice, which he was glad to hear because the number one killer of the vanos valves on bmw is people doing 9k plus oil changes like the manufacturer recommends. he explained the tech couldn't find anything out of the normal with the car at that moment and their code scanner couldn't find any new codes being generated. After talking further he said that clearly the vanos valve is acting up, and was worried their was sludge build up on the valve causing it to stick. So they could either change it or take it to the local BMW dealership and run a vanos valve test. I opted to run the test, so I canceled my oil change and diff fluid change and he it switched to a vanos performance test.

So the day comes where the dealership runs the test and I get a call. He says that they are fairly stumped on it because the valves come back as operating flawlessly. So he recommended getting the oil changed on it and driving it until/if it happened again. I asked for the oil filter to be cut open and inspected for shavings/glinting that could be caused by the metal on metal tick I was hearing.

So the tech performed the oil change and inspection and nothing was out of the usual expect one thing, the oil was oddly dark. This was odd to me because I never noticed the oil being as dark as it was, that was until I did some self reflection. One week my last oil change I added a bottle of seafoam oil treatment into the oil to help break up any sludge that might have been in the oil. Well I think I got what I was wanting but it also just loosened up some of that sludge across the last 5k miles and all culminated in the issue I had. Oh and that tick is gone, which after talking with the tech he said he never heard any ticks out of the normal and that any tick that was there could have been caused by poor oil flow through the valve that has cleared out by the time they got it.

I guess in the end I will chalk it up to some self sabotage.
Appreciate 3
AHall989.00
SSJAR26.50
M5Rick61799.50