View Single Post
      10-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I thought the same thing as I was in the hunt for an S85 for a while but couldn't find what I was looking for. My wife has a 550i and aside from the oil consumption it is/was a flawless experience. Only doing cursory research I bought my M6GC from a local dealer. It was locally owned, dealer maintained and I got to see the service records. Having spent a ton of time researching S85's I wasn't put off by the rod bearings being replaced and decided to buy.

Mine were replaced by bmw around 45k and then later seized under my ownership. I have read and spoken with countless others that have had the same issue or had rods bent or piston cracked.

I'd buy this car again in a minute but would shop with this experience in mind as it will impact the total cost of ownership.
How did you know the rod bearings were going bad? How much did that cost you, ball park?

My 2013 F10 M5 has been a very good car maintenance wise other than high oil consumption. The consumption has been a lot better while using LiquiMoly Molygen 5W-40. I have to put a quart in once every 1200 miles or so.

It was a lot worse before even with another quality oil like Motul X-cess. I needed a quart about every 700 miles. Not totally sure why the brand would make this difference when the oil weight was the same.

My car was a bit of a gamble as it had four owners before me with only 42k miles on it. The full maintenance history from BMW was good and I had an indy shop do a pre-purchase inspection. They only changed the coolant lines on the top of the engine block that typically goes bad but gave it a clean bill of health otherwise.

I now have 58k miles on it and had zero issues.

If you keep up with maintenance, I think these cars are pretty darn good even as the miles add up. They're not like your Toyota Camry that goes 200k miles without a single issue, but the Camry doesn't have 560 hp off the factory line either.
Appreciate 2