View Single Post
      06-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
BMWisBest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
I get the thickness but what are you solving for? If you just want to replace the CCB with Iron, the cheapest and fasters option would be to go with OEM that has already been designed for the car and set proper bias between front and rear brakes.
1. Larger pads (F90)
2. Thicker rotors/Better rotor aspect ratio (390 or 380x28 vs. F10/F13's 396x24)
3. Improved brake design over F10/F13 (Per BMW)

For the beast that the F10/F13 are, the rotors are extremely thin and the pads are smaller than they should be. Not adequate to be beat up on the track by a vehicle with the weight and speed of an m5/m6.

24mm (what we have now) is the same thickness rotor as much smaller lighter care with less power: Impreza, Supra, Cayman, etc.

The e92 and f80 m3 have 30mm front and 24mm rear. Why?? Because people track m3s way more so we essentially got skimped.

But I do want to track my car more often and am concerned about rotor wear and damage stopping all 4,300lbs over and over and over at high speeds.

With track use, our thin rotors become susceptible to faster wear and even hairline cracks. They solved this problem on the F90 which is why you get the 28mm thick rotors and larger brake pads. This is a better alternative and can last 3-4x longer than what we have now.

Regarding our rotors being designed for our cars, as I said I don't think they thought they would spend much time at the track ��*♂️

RacingBrake does extensive testing and has their setups on thousands of track cars. They're not AP or Brembo, they're local but have been around forever. I trust their reputation!

*F10 Pads on the left F90 on the right
Attached Images

Appreciate 0