View Single Post
      01-24-2024, 10:09 AM   #22
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
One other little tidbit about endorsements. You can put “qualifiers” on your endorsement. Then you sign it. It is assumed everything written above your signature was there when you signed and therefore you knew about it. We all probably know about the most common qualifier - For Deposit Only. If you’re old enough to have gotten your checks back with your monthly statement you might have noticed the endorsement stamp most businesses put on the checks they deposit. “Pay to the order of XYZ Bank, N.A., For Deposit Only, account #1234567, Joe Blows Best Business. By putting “pay to the order of XYZ Bank” Joe officially transfers ownership of that check to the named bank, with the caveat it is to be deposited to the indicated account. Being an old, stick in the mud, former banker who worked in operations this is how I endorse my checks.

There’s another endorsement qualifier folks try some times. If you do this the teller should absolutely refuse to accept the check endorsed this way for cash or deposit into your account. The qualifier is “Without Recourse”. By putting this qualifier you are saying if this check is returned for any reason you cannot charge it back to my account or come after me for reimbursement in any way.

edit: I just remembered a little story about the “without recourse” endorsement. I once had a law student who had just learned about this try it on me. I think he was more than a little surprised and impressed I caught it and refused to take his check for deposit. I’m sure I asked him if there was a reason he endorsed his check that way and that was when he told me he was a law student. I’m pretty sure I just had him mark it out and initial the change and then took the check.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-27-2024 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 3