02-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #101
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I think the transmission choice is less to do with the feeling of engagement between the M3 and X6M and all to do with the difference in the engines and the cars they were attached to. But you are right that a manual is more invoving than even a DCT but those comments really relate to sportscars, not big heavy saloons.
Footie, no doubt the transmission in the X6M resulted from factors associated with the car - I'm sure the folks at M gmbH would prefer to put DCT into the X6M and X5M to save money on developing a new transmission and enhance driver involvement. I bet that given the motor and weight constraints, they were forced to go auto box.

Your comment highlights my frustration - the M5 used to be a saloon car with sports car capabilities. Look at the 4 prior generation M5s....all had a manual gearbox standard (or at least a zero cost option in the e60) and all performed at levels smaller and lighter sports car producers were envious of....hence the great brand equity in the M division and the M5.

I'm not a M brand purist....I don't care if the engine is naturally aspirated or if the car runs on petrol, if they include driver aid like abs, traction control (as long as I can shut it off) or if its all wheel drive. What I am is a M brand lover because they produce cars that make me feel good when I'm driving them. If the motor is strong, the feel and feedback match solid handling, and the gearbox makes me feel like i'm somewhat responsible for the lap time or quick jaunt through town then I'm loyal.

Start taking those intangibles away and I think they'll lose business to folks that already employed driver feel and involvement concessions (Audi, MB, etc). Lots of options out there for bland driving experiences.

Last edited by auggiem3; 02-15-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0