01-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #608
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
The difference between current full M and M performance cars seems to be narrowed to superficialities of wider fenders, gothic shaped mirrors and m buttons and more taut suspensions. M suspensions are not even up to scratch as those owners that have the means almost always modified them. The M exhausts are also not that great from factory and need modifications.

S58 is just a modified version of B58 (both have closed decks and forged materials) and are track ready. M850i is more expensive than a lot of M cars.

Reviews have shown that the difference in driving performance between m850i and m8 does not justify the price difference. Carwow guy that had m850i long term before driving m8 said this as well as straightpipes

So what is that special about full Ms compared to current m performance cars ? More track oriented I get it. M performance car engines and suspensions are tuned by the M divisions.

Otherwise nothing.

So those that bought M cars because they thought they were special would sorely be disappointed. However those that bought M cars for 15-20% extra performance would not be disappointed with this grouping

BMW knows the gap between base full M and M performance cars is just too narrow and they are modifying the grouping accordingly
Don't base comparisons by journalism whole heartedly. Always remember journalism is an opinion.

Make your decisions based upon what's acceptable to you and what is needed aesthetically along with performance thru ones own experience.

How can you speak on whether an M car is worth more or less, than a non M car or not if you have never spent serious time or owned that said car to draw conclusion?

Responding to your engine comparison and major items negated and largely opposite of a N55 and a S55 motor. Utilizing the current f80 M3 in comparison to a M340i for example. An M car utilizes a twin turbo not a single turbo twin scroll and a DCT transmission which is a large reason to separate the two. I could go on but digress.

Sure you can always modify any car to gain better customization but remember BMW designed the M3, M3 Comp, and M3 CS to serve both as a road car and a entry level track car. Most modifications such as Ohlins springs are better but move more towards being track focused.

I own a F80 M3 but am fully aware the M3 CS and Gts give things I do not have and would never feel my car is in comparison or better than the cars upgraded by BMW. I have never spent time with them to have an opinion.

What a consumer spends in relationship to a lower model is up to the consumer.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
bm4w145.50