View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #128
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteele View Post
100% Agreement. I was playing devil's advocate for the "GTS is ugly" contingent. Concessions for practicality aside, all that matters to me is what I see and feel from the driver's seat. When I owned a Porsche 928, it was regarded by many as ugly. Comments, like "Please change its diaper!" come to mind, but I traded out of it because I hated its suspension, which went from not-at-all-tied-down and "floaty" over bumps on the original shocks to vertebral compression fracture stiffness and lost road contact over bumps on replacement Bilsteins.
I have had my GTS for 3 weeks now and do not regret my choice one bit. I did not get the PDCC. As far as Northern California highways and back roads, the car handles great without it in my opinion. However, this is a subjective experience of going 55-65 MPH through 30 MPH on/off ramp turns and s turns.

I only test drove the M5, and it felt like a 550 with much more torque. I think the Motortrend article was very accurate about really having to really drive it hard to enjoy it.

My GTS MSRPed at $124K. The M5 that I wanted was $105K with more features. The lease rates are about 5% better than Porsche as well and you get "free" maintenance.

Again, the argument always comes down to looks and value, which most people favor the BMW.

I came from an E92 and have owned 6 BMWs in total, and as I have posted elsewhere here, the GTS drives like a big M3, and the M5 drives like a turbo 7 series.

If you like exhaust note, high revving NA engines, and the Porsche brand, then the GTS is the choice. If you want a knock your ass in your seat acceleration, lots of tech features, and save some cash, go M5.

As far as build quality, my GTS seems to be a little nice and slightly more exotic like. The M5 interior is 95% the same as my wife's 535 GT, which is nice, but not special.

Again, I am not hating on the M5, the GTS just felt perfect for my needs.

Good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 0