09-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #285
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I have a integrated duo trap sensor on my Trek Domane which captures Cadence, HR and Power. Can the Garmin capture this data. I ride a lot of roads in my area which I am very familiar with so I don't need a Garmin to map a course. I only ride a road bike on long rides so switching to another bike is not an option. I ride a hybrid on our local trails which are near by. I really appreciate your input as I am just trying to understand how a Garmin works and if it is worth a $450 investment. thanks.
What sensors do you use for Cadence, HR and Power? Garmin can capture all of those metrics, just not sure of which cadence and HR sensors are compatible. I'm fairly certain all power meters will be compatible.

Mnoob gave you a great overview of Garmin capabilities. Garmin has a plethora of algorithms built into their software which all runs from their devices. Their wireless speed and cadence sensors are great. No more magnets on the spokes. Just a small disk attached to the inside of your crank arm for cadence. Speed is first determined by GPS, then by a speed sensor mounted on your hub. All very light and non-intrusive.

Switching between bikes is a non issue since your speed is determined by GPS. (unless you are in a tunnel or parking garage) Spend another $32 for an additional cadence sensor and all you have to do is take your Garmin device with you on which ever bike you ride. Though it takes ver little effort and about 25 seconds to switch a cadence sensor from one bike to the other.

The GPS isn't for directions. It's for data collection. Speed and elevation mainly. But then you also will get graphs for your speed, cadence, power, elevation, heart rate, etc... that all correlate with your mapped route. So you can see where exactly your top speed was on your route, or where your cadence sinks lower than desired.

If you like collecting data, logging the miles you put on your gear, using a Garmin device and Garmin connect is great. I use a Fenix 3 as an everyday watch, but it also has the same functionality as pretty much the Edge1000. I have all my gear in Garmin connect so i add the gear i used during the ride and it compiles the mileage for each piece of gear. I know how many miles i have on my wheels, Tires, bib shorts, chain, components, bikes, etc...

$450 has been well worth it for me. I use a power meter and heart rate monitor and ride a road bike, mtn bike and indoor trainer. I keep the speed and cadence sensor on the trainer bike and a cadence sensor on my mtn bike. My road bike has power meter pedals which keep track of cadence. Over the last 100 or so rides, i've only had GPS/speed issues on my road bike on one ride. And it dropped for about 15 seconds.

I doubt you'll regret it. It's got so many more features that you're unaware of that you'll probably grow to realize that you didn't even know you wanted them until you learned of them.

Let us know if you have any other specific questions.