10-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #5613
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
DPMS was originally a MN company and fairly local to me. I've deployed with guys that have worked for them and when they were still a MN company the quality was good and they were the rifle to get. I cant speak much for them now that Remington owns the brand and manufactures them. I have a DPMS 5.56 that I got when it was still a MN based small town company. It is true that the springs they come with are stiff and noisy. The only issue I have with it is it ejects most casings to the 1-2 o'clock position vs 3-4 o'clock, but it cycles fine so I haven't messed with it.

5.56 PMC 55gr seems to shoot just fine, boxed AE 55gr shoots fine, but AE Federal 62gr green can ammo jams at least once every few mags.

.223 always seems to shoot fine regardless.

I've never shot frangible ammo through it, but it's likely that they don't have enough pressure to cycle the bolt properly, especially with the stiff spring of the DPMS. We have this problem with blank ammo even after using the blank adapter. Granted blanks are quite a bit less pressure, but same principle.
Agreed - when Randy owned and ran the place - the name meant something different. It was one of the AR's to have. I still have one of the BULL 20's from that time. I finally shot the barrel out of it and converted it to a 300 HAM'R a few years ago, but most of the rest of it remained the same. You are right though - it had a noisy spring in it from the factory! I changed it to a pneumatic set up pretty quick - which got rid of the noise completely.

One of the funny things - back then it was all DPMS vs Bushmaster. In the DPMS office (I think in Randy's office?) there was a statue of a panther (DPMS mascot) holding a dead snake (Bushmaster mascot) in it's mouth. LOL