09-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #15
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I can only say having driven both the F10 and owning the F90 Competition - that the F10 is no where near the F90 in terms of performance. Trap speeds already tell us that the mid-top end of the F90 is superior - I did a 127.54 MPH trap in 39 celcius heat (before humidity). I am going back to the track this Sunday - weather pending - that is set to be about 2000ish DA - maybe slightly better - (it was 3000+ with my last outing for comparison) - on a regular test and tune day so prep will be crap - but I believe I will trap at least 128 if not 129 MPH this time out if the weather is accurate. That is a full ~5 MPH above the higher average F10 M5 CP. As to this thread - from my own experience - not tuning on exhaust only is definitely possible - but with down pipes - I would be very surprised a tune is not needed. Additional flow from the exhaust side of the turbos will cause them to spin faster and would mess up the stock tune likely leaning out the car. From those who mod these cars - the money is on at least a light tune to ensure air/fuel is correct. So I highly doubt the car is on a stock tune. As to the DCT versus ZF - I have both types of cars and the ZF is a dream. I would say - feels - just as quick, but with a nice drive. The difference is not detrimental.

I am not trying to poo poo the F10 - but the new AWD platform makes the 1/4 a full second quicker than the F10 when comparing magazine tests (11.9 to 10.9) - and the additional power is evident in the mid-top end. Cars are supposed to evolve with every iteration - and the F10 to F90 is no exception.
Trap speed for 1/4 mile is quite a troubled comparison for the F10 as it has severe traction issues up to 60 mph. But a rolling race is a totally different scenario. A rolling race starting at 60-70 mph, is going to be pretty close. Both cars have similar weight, similar aerodynamics, the F10 has less transmission losses, similar wheelhorse power (when downpiped). I don't know, it is a tough comparison. I can totally see why an F10 with downpipes can keep up with an F90
Appreciate 0