View Single Post
      09-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
Trap speed for 1/4 mile is quite a troubled comparison for the F10 as it has severe traction issues up to 60 mph. But a rolling race is a totally different scenario. A rolling race starting at 60-70 mph, is going to be pretty close. Both cars have similar weight, similar aerodynamics, the F10 has less transmission losses, similar wheelhorse power (when downpiped). I don't know, it is a tough comparison. I can totally see why an F10 with downpipes can keep up with an F90
First, I made an error. My buddies F10 M5 CP ran a 122.3 MPH best trap speed - and my E63S was 123.9 MPH...shown here:

I ran 123.46 and as low as 122.1 MPH as per the videos on my above YT channel. The F10 M5 CP ran low to mid 121's on average. Again - weather pending - I will be at the same track with better weather (25-27C) this weekend to see what the F90 M5 CP does. I will post the results on Bimmerpost. If I also get 127.5 MPH this weekend, I will say that 5+ MPH is a goodly amount and just exhaust and DP will likely not be enough to come with a car in a mid-top end roll. If I am above 128 MPH - into 129 - 7+ MPH definitely would need a full tune plus exhaust and DP's to come to the type of "tie" the video shows. That is a lot of MPH at that level.

To your point about traction, what is interesting about drags is that spinning actually can cause an increase in trap speed more times than not. That said - I am not JUST stating 1/4 mile trap speeds will tell you if a person will win a mid-top end roll race every time - just that it is an indicator. We didn't 1/2 mile his car. That said, as I said above, my buddy has raced his car in hotter temps as I have and barely run 121-122+ MPH. I will see if we can find a safe venue for a roll - at the 1/4 track - just for fun to see what the outcome is. If we are within 1-2 cars over 130 MPH - I would say that exhaust and DP may be enough to bring the cars close to 1 car to half car - without a tune. For sure with a tune. But if we are 2-3+ cars difference - as I project - I would say for sure exhaust and DP would not be enough and with a solid tune (depending on the tune level) - to get results as per the video.

Drivetrain loss with two quick shifting auto's isn't likely going to be perceptible. WHP - and I will admit - I am not well versed on non-tune DP/Exhaust mods to an F10 - but F90 M5's are averaging 600 WHP stock.
Appreciate 0