View Single Post
      12-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #67
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Tom - your points about the sales-success of the M5 (and competitors) is well-taken. I'm sure there's enough of a market for it, don't get me wrong.

Bimmer6 - I wish I could have done ED on the 5. I have a 6 mo. old, though, so that kinda killed the option for me! I paid way more than I had to for a 550... mainly because I couldn't say "no" to many of the options. So, hence about 20k worth of options. As a DD, though, I think I'll use most of them.

I also agree it's probably "bad form" for 550 owners to be "picking a fight" (for lack of a better term) with M5 owners here. Clearly BMW made the M5 to do what the 550 was not in terms of performance, and it reminds me of a little dog barking furiously at a clearly bigger one. Some people must have this hard-wired into their personality from the moment they were 3 with a Big Wheel and challenged the 5 year old on his bike to a race! Honestly, I'm sure there will be plenty of "beaten" 550's on the used market, as well, due to people driving them like they stole them, when I'm positive this wasn't BMW's intention.

For the 550 owners I'd say, as I did above, if you want a race car, buy a race car. Otherwise be happy with what you have, which is a very nice, luxurious, and quick executive sedan and family hauler. FWIW, your resale value will also remain higher if you don't pimp it out, which screams to me, "I beat the snot out of this car" whether it's true or not.
Appreciate 0