04-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 - Totaled :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
Did a search but there doesn't seem to be much in terms the specifics.

1.) Why does BMW offer a 7% discount on ED cars? Is it done in agreement to spur their economy? Is this only open to US purchases, all of NA or everyone except Europe?

2.) How does it work? I go there, meet my car at Welt then drive it around. When I'm done give it back and BMW takes care of all the shipping to a dealer near me? Are there any additional costs - if so is it just regular destination?

Seems like a no-brainer to do if Im already planning a European Vacation, although Id be hesitant to park it in places Im unfamiliar with.

thx
There is a step-by-step guide on the BMW website that walks you through ED. BMW offers this on the cars produced in Germany (i.e., not South Carolina). I am not sure of the exact details of why they offer the discount (I guess I could look that up if you really would like to know), but the main justification is that you as an individual are bringing the car back to the US, not a German company importing to its US affiliate and then selling it. They have figured out the numbers to make it worth their while to offer you a discount and still bear the expenses of actually getting it to you without making less money than if they just sold it to you straight up in the US. I apologize if that isn't the 100% most accurate answer, but I am doing ED on my M5 and the bottom line is I still get the same car as if I bought it off the lot, except I will end up spending less by doing ED. Like you, I will be in Europe around that time anyways, so I really don't have that much added expense for swinging by Munich. PLus you get to spend a day at the Welt where you car was born-how awesome is that!
Appreciate 0