04-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #43
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux
I'm quite surprised that sport auto now puts cars on a dyno. They have argued at length very recently (i.e. last year) that for a number of reasons (e.g. different dynos, conditions such as air pressure, temperature etc.) they would not do it, although it had been insinuated in quite a few tests that car manufacturer provided "prepared" press cars with a serious bump in power compared to the normal cars sold to the public (besides a frequently modified suspension geometry but which is now also measured by sport auto). All the easier nowadays with the inflation of turbo charged cars.

This comparison however proves that they should put the cars on a dyno - 50hp at the crank more than advertised is quite a lot, even at that power level. It may contribute to keeping car manufacturers more honest.

As far as the acceleration comparison is concerned, I'm quite surprised that no one thought of bringing up things like gear ratio, aerodynamics or different wheel sizes which all have a measurable impact on acceleration. Focusing on weight/power ratio only is a bit narrow-minded.

Alpina_B3_Lux
THANK YOU for finally raising that point.
Appreciate 0