06-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #285
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Now you are changing definitions and changing the topic. You originally addressed the extraction of the battery raw materials as a function of recycling the battery in lieu of mining new raw materials. Now you are defining the term recycling as a reuse of a partially depleted-charge-capacity battery for its initial-manufactured purpose (to store electrical energy), as in a Tesla Energy (SolarCity) Power Wall.

Eventually the battery will have no use as an electrical storage device and reach its true end-of-life state. The extraction of the raw materials that allow the battery to hold electrical charge will be depleted and useless. Being environmentally toxic if released (i.e. not contained in storage) means there is no economical reason to recycle the battery, which gets back to the point of it being akin to long-term storage of spent nuclear fuel.
No, waste is the topic. Whether it be direct recycling or secondary recycling, they don't end up as waste. I didn't address it as extraction. I said based on the price of raw materials. You read what you wanted to out of my statement.

They are valuable commodities and there are many years left to identify optimal ways of direct recycling.
Appreciate 0