No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It would be an expensive redesign effort, it would need direct injection and benefit from different bore/stroke. My understanding is the VQ was bored as far as they could go without sleeving. Would probably benefit from the newer valvetrains too.

I’m just going to say that it was very overrated in all iterations compared to the very best sporty engines. It felt like a bit of a truck engine to me in that it had decent torque down low but was never anything you wanted to take to redline. I owned a G35C w VQ35DE, so I’m not being anti Nissan here. I thought it was worse overall than the BMW M54 in the ZHP even though it was rated for more power. Even the best version pales in comparison to S54 which would still be a top notch engine if it were in a car today with appropriate weight, and that’s a 20 year old design too. I understand S54 is not impressive on paper necessarily anymore but it has a responsiveness that’s not found in most NA engines that are left outside of exotics and the GT versions of Porsche 9A1. Of course, S54 is heavy and wouldn’t pass emissions.
I can't speak to the DE but I just picked up a high mileage G35x with the HR. This engine is no joke. From 4k-6500 it pulls hard and redlines at 7600. Granted, it's not setting any speed records especially with the 3700+ curb weight but it's definitely a sleeper sedan. C&D tested it at 14 flat @100 almost 15 years ago. I like it so much that I'm getting a true cold air intake and Uprev dyno tune next month for starters.
Appreciate 1