08-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
Mdifficult
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Blue, E82 1M White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
keep your eye out.
I personally do maintenance on advanced machinery(fanuc robotics and fanuc controlled cnc's)
anyhow we had a machine at work that had one sensor that blew. Changed it with a new one and 10 minutes later blew that. The wire harness had a short to ground and would blow that sensor. The problem might of been you sensor, but it might be the harness that is killing your sensor, but it could also be a short that happens in the sensor. just odd that the problem persists with 2 different sensors.
That's a very fair point, and thank you for the head's up.

Either way, this sensor needs to be replaced so I'm going ahead with that. If it fixes everything then happy days - and if one of the newly-replaced sensors fails then I know something's up with the harness/loom.

I'm really hoping at this point that, with both sensors being original from new, both being in the same bank of the engine, and both having covered the same mileage in the same location, on the same DME, that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they'd both fail in sync with each other.

Should pick the car up this afternoon and then it's just a case of driving it over the next few days/weeks/months and seeing what happens.

Again, big thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. As with anyone running a high mileage M5 without a warranty, I'm always just happy when the issue is something electrical rather than large bits of metal making a bid for freedom
Appreciate 0