03-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #59
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Even beyond that I truly think Pop is the legend of all coaches. He's done far more with far less in a tiny market and small payroll. And the mofo did it his way for how long? Players love him, there's no racy rumors about him, no toe fetishes, no college girls on his lap while his wife is at home with the kids, no racial underlinings and all this through over 30 years in the league, 25-26 altogether I believe with the Spurs.

The man hasn't missed the playoffs but two years with the Spurs. Some time way back in 96 and last year. That's it. So basically, he hasn't had a losing record longer than some of us on these forums have been alive.

Strong cases could be made for Jackson, Riley, Red - with the other best coaches but never won a ring crowd - Nelson, Wilkins, Sloan and I'm sure there's a few more but yeah. Jackson and Riley coached what teams again and who were on their squads? Not saying their championships are discredited just Pop did it better, longer, and more importantly, he did it his way. Plus he's got 5.

We do owe Nelson for the current NBA though. He's the creator of "small-ball" that we see today. It's why they refer to it as "Nellie-ball" which I think is pretty neat, lol.
Spurs fan for 25+ yrs here
Pop owes ALOT of his success thanks to Timmy
Where was pop before and where is he after Timmy ?
Duncan would have been successful anywhere with any coach
Pop's way of coaching wouldn't have worked as well with a different superstar
He should very thankful that the GOATPUFF was so coachable
Appreciate 0