View Single Post
      12-31-2022, 01:23 AM   #202
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I assume that you knew what happened in that match, but apparently not. The disputed goal broke the tie and obviously affected how each team played afterwards, i.e. the Germans had to open up looser and England got that insurance 4th goal. Anyway, since you don't acknowledge that, there's no pt discussing w you, and I think it's laughable you wanna conduct a revision on something that really had no effect on this year's final (to use a hyperbole, the whole freaking stadium could've flooded Argentina's end, so what?), vs that 3rd goal in '66 which did. Arguing technicalities is quite petty when they had no bearing on the game and saying "rules are rules" is just a copout, as the very reason rules were made is to try to make things fair, so try not to be robotic and instead use your brain to look at the actual spirit of why rules were invented in the first place and if it indeed should be applied in this case. Apparently, FIFA decided to go w the more logical decision because that's what reasonable ppl do.
You were the one who brought up England's 1966 World Cup triumph cheapening it with your quip about how a goal should not have been. Try using your own brain better instead of making a fool of yourself comparing the resulting play of that with a match 56 years later
Appreciate 0