View Single Post
      12-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #33
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I am not surprised about the hierarchy here; new M5 should be the fastest "non-special series" M car and it is. The 1M is also not a big surprise, we already know that at certain tracks it is faster than an M3, DCT or not, like it was so in Hockenheim in the Sport Auto Super Test. However, if the track was really including some long straights and fast sweepers like another reader posted earlier, than a stock 1M being clearly faster than a DCT Comp. Pack M3 Coupe is really an achievement. Yet, we all know now after various dyno runs that stock 1Ms have around 360 to 380 hp rather than 340 (the official figure) and more importantly it has around 550 to 570nm of torque starting low down which puts it very close in hp and way ahead in torque compared to E9X M3. Factor it in the weight advantage as well as more compact dimensions with a shorter wheel base, the result seems to be more expected than a surprise. It shows that despite the lack of torque and heaviness M3's magnificent V8 and the Comp. chassis with DCT really works to its limits by staying with the 1M in certain tracks and being even faster in others (Ring).

The other details that are of interest for me is the huge gap between two generations of M5s and how close, almost identical the M3 Sedan (my favourite M3) is to the coupe. The SUVs also did an admirable job compared to V10 M5. We may not love them but they are engineering marvels.

Ah, since I just received my set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports today and very curious to mount them ASAP, I can't help but wonder what if both the 1M and F10 M5 carry the same shoes, e.g. the Super Sports in this test! The M5 does, 1M has the older PS2s, is it too far to go that, with the same tires 1M would be annoyingly (to some) closer to the mighty M5? I bet M5 would still be faster than any 1M or M3 but maybe at a distance of half a second max.

Just reflections, no arguments. I love them all, maybe the 1M slightly closer to my heart after this
Appreciate 0