11-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
M5TUDM
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2015 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
The lack of a dipstick first the oil means you need to check in idrive. You need to actually check because the oil level sensor can fail and months can go by yet there is no loss in oil registered. If so, get the sensor and the oil replaced right away. Been there, done that,

Heat is a major concern on this engine hence it has no less than 7 radiators and two cooling circuits. The turbo circuit has small tank that has any easy to read level gauge in the tank. The main circuit tank also has a gauge except for US models! I use a tape measure set to exactly 6 inches as that is about the same as the metric spec in ETK. Neither of these two circuits have any warning system for "low coolant". The car is happy to pump it's entire coolant supply out and not let you know. Seen this happen in the driveway on my wife's 550i.

Consequently, make sure to monitor your oil and coolant levels and get any leaks fixed right away as soon as you notice them. So often we read on these boards of people being very lazy (cheap really) about fixing leaks. One should not buy a depreciated $100K USD car and then act all phobic about spending some money to get things repaired.

Keeping it healthy is just like with other cars, keep on top of fluid changes and watch for problems developing.
I will pay close attention! That said, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to explain these potential cooling issues; really meaningful information - thank you
Appreciate 1