12-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #33
Lowflight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I compared and bought an ipad/iphone app that includes both a real-time analyzer and white and pink noise generator. I ran the noise generator on one device through a line-in cable and played it through the aux-in input, while holding the RTA app/device in front of my head in the driver's seat. The RTA has calibration profile for my phone's built in mic, so this seemed like the least expensive way to go for probably a one time course tuning to figure out how to best set the 7-channel equalizer.

I read early on that you really need at least a 13-channel and up eq to be able to set things without having too much side effects and I pretty much proved this to myself from this experience. The response with eq flat and bass/treble in the middle turned out to be the best compromise (B&O in "studio", not "expanded"). When I tried to reduce a peak visible on the RTA with the B&O eq, the frequency selections of the eq weren't close enough to the center of the frequency I wanted to attenuate and the bandwidth of the slider caused too many nearby frequencies to attenuate that I didn't want.

I actually found the best compromise was just to leave the settings absolutely flat, and not use the B&O expander. The low bass response is naturally up a little bit with the eq flat, kind of like a waterfall setup. It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.

Note that when I did a frequency sweep (low to high frequencies), the RTA spiked at the top end high frequencies, detecting more energy there than in the lower and mid frequencies. I broke my phone, so the screenshots are gone for now, but I think it was somewhere starting at 16k and above. Beyond my hearing range for sure. I can do it again and post my results sometime later after I get a new phone if there is any interest.
Name of App?
Appreciate 0