04-20-2024, 01:47 PM   #82
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
I'm a huge fan of no speed limits. What makes us all assholes is that we're passing each other at 1mph. The people getting overtaken see it as passive aggressive because it's not a deliberate effort...it's granny passing...even at 5mph above speed limits.

I didn't notice this until I went to Germany. With no limits, you drive deliberately and everybody knows each others intentions. When you're all creeping by each other nobody is certain what the other drivers are going to do and tension goes up.

I can't stand being back in the states. I want the laws changed. $10 speeding tickets with cameras. Have point levels that will remove your license for 30 days, 60 days, 180 days, and 365. Out of control fines are just pissing everybody off. Make them ride a bike or find other means after 10, 15, or 20 speeding points will get rid of all the ridiculous anxiety.

THEN...ENFORCE LEFT LANE PASSING ONLY!!!!....AND....NO PASSING IN THE RIGHT LANE!!!

Driving in the states is way more stressful, especially with the complicated road systems.

EDIT: Most important of all, it'll redirect police resources to real matters.
Re: the left lane thing...
Might work in the wide open spaces of West Texas, but it'll NEVER work in the metropolitan areas. There is a serious lack of drivers EDUCATION here and most drivers, let alone our freeways, can't handle Autobahn speeds. When I learned to drive over 50 years ago drivers ed was just that. There was classroom, simulator and actual driving involved. We used to have some of the best drivers in the country, now we have some of the worst. Our 55mph truck speed limit causes all kinds of issues when the 55mph truck tries to pass the other 55mph truck. I got stuck behind that operation for some 20 miles once.

Cameras? I think not. We have this thing called a Constitution that assumes "innocence;" cameras, by their nature, assume guilt. We also have the right to question our accuser. Can't question a camera. I do know they are used in some jurisdictions and don't know how they pass Constitutional muster. Red light cameras are the same.
Appreciate 2