06-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #74
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMark View Post
Honestly, does anyone even remotely care what auto "magazines" report any more?? I have always wondered about journalistic honesty in magazines when management is afraid of pissing off their advertisers and thus loosing ad money (still very problematic in the high end audio world where certain audio magazines would not be worth lining my cat's litter box)....
Good post - the whole thing, not just the quoted part.

The focus I'd like to bring to this debate centres not so much around journalistic integrity, patriotism, or American car build quality, but rather on figuring out what each of us values as individuals. If you can articulate what you're looking for in a car, you're in a position to choose who you listen to, develop an objective evaluation criteria, and pick a car that best fits your value points.

The reviewer here clearly values a sharp edged track focussed saloon more than he values a daily driver that can run with some pretty exotic iron. He prefers the Caddy, but grudgingly acknowledges the M5 is a better car. This is great information for people who value the same things, but shouldn't bother those who value the target BMW has hit with the F10M5. (btw, I see many posts from people who are not 'threatened' by this review.)

If one feels a nasty edge in one's psyche after reading / viewing pieces like this, or the Car and Driver article that places the M5 behind the competitors, it would be good to ask .... "Is my primary objective to own a car that everyone envy's?" If the answer is 'yes', then there will be a certain amount of baggage to be carried around.

To those who's answer is 'yes', you have my pity, but please don't take out your frustrations in public. It's unbecoming.
Appreciate 0