View Single Post
      06-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #53
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

Let's agree that the great majority folks who are going to buy a new M5 are not going to track the car, you buy an M3, 1M or something like that if you really want to track often. So whatever advantages that car may have as far as track times are really just magazine reading material. The reality for most is how it feels on the street, curvy country roads and highways, and it seems like the M5 has lost some of it's M flavor, Car and Driver rated it third behind the E63 and even the Audi S6 which won the comparo, this despite the fact the M5 was decisively faster. Yes the day has come that an AMG car has better handling as improbable as that seems, and that a RWD M5 is heavier than an AWD Audi S6, as impossible as that appeared a few years ago. The CTS-v is probably going to feel sportier in daily spirited driving, and I would venture to say that's as far as 95% of owners are willing to go. Impressive for the CTS-v at that price point, but again I would not buy it for a track car either. BTW the arcane 6 spd auto on the CTS-v has recorded 0-60 in 3.9 secs on all major mags much quicker than the 6 spd manual and also posted it's best lap at the Nurburgring, so it is not much slower than the DCT-7.
The M5 should never have weighed more than 3900 lbs, at 3800 lbs it would be truly amazing, it would not be difficult they only need to remove the gizmos they had to add because it's overweight, sort of a "Catch 22" syndrome.
Appreciate 0