08-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #56
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
BMW cannot make up its mind when it comes to ignition coil vendors and in the past few years they have bounced from Bosch, to Eldor, to Delphi, back to Bosch and rumors of Bremi coming back into play now.... They are all the same design, the ignition coils have not changed until the latest rev of the n63/s63 tu3 which the f10/f90 does not use.

Eldors seem to be the best of the bunch and the part number above are what I use in my n63 and my friend in his m5 so they will work perfect in yours. You will notice the Eldors are quite a bit heavier then all the others.

The F90 coils will work also as the other member posted, they switched to Delphi, both Eldor and Delphi are good coils, problem with Delphi is alot of counterfeits so you really need to go to dealer to get legit coils which means$$$$. I personally prefer Eldor, I never had a problem with Delphi but I'm a snob and like that Eldors are made in Italy vs Delphis in China. You can feel and see that just looking at the coils side by side. Doesn't necessarily mean there is a true difference in spark performance, but.....

Speaking of counterfeits, I am assuming you are using the latest spark plugs for the s63/n63 family which is the Bosch 8165 (ZR5TPP330) which has replaced the previous gen 8179 (ZMR5TPP330) plug. Make sure it has germany stamped on the side. New round of counterfeits going around. You can find forum posts of broken plugs and misfires caused by the counterfeits.
Thank you guys for all the information, I removed one coil and spark plug to verify and the spark plugs are the correct ZR5TPP330 with Germany stamped next to part#.

Now the new Busch coil are Made in Slovenia.
Appreciate 0