06-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #52
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Forgive me for being a snob, but it's a fucking Cadillac. It looks like the vomit of the lovechild of a 90s rapper and a geometry teacher. Developed dynamically at the Nürburgring, it is decidedly a German car in the ugliest and gaudiest clothing. Calling it an American car is a disgrace to the German engineering that designed that track. It only speaks to the fact that there isn't a place in America that can develop such a dynamically proficient car.

Its target buyers are wannabe Mercedes owners who are chained to patriotism (and therefore ultimate stupidity) by their "great-great-grandpapi's" contribution to the Confederate Army during the Civil War.

It doesn't matter that it can compete dynamically, because if you buy one, you probably can't compete with a book.
Completely ignorant and uniformed commenting by somebody who hasn't driven either car.

Until the day the F10 M5 is actually being delivered in the U.S. (and it still isn't by the way), with the exception of the Porsche Panamera Turbo S, the CTS-V is the fastest production sedan you can buy in this Country and has been since 2009. It's faster in a straight line than an E60 M5 or an E63 AMG, and it's faster than an E60 M5 or E63 through the curves too. It also stops better and takes a better line through corners. And if you don't believe me, come on up to Monticello Motor Club and watch the CTS-V's eat that track alive. Then watch us swap tires and drive home on New York State 17 in total comfort courtesy of the V's Delphi Magneride suspension--the same suspension system as the Audi R8 and the Ferrari 599.

You'll pardon me, but I've found that the best way to hide my ignorance on a topic is not to comment on things I know nothing about.

I'm now on the M5 bandwagon because I'm willing to pay for the extra 5% that the M5 delivers over the CTS-V, but the $35,000 price difference between a fully optioned M5 and a fully optioned CTS-V is about as vivid a real-world illustration of the law of diminishing returns as there is in the automotive world.
Appreciate 0