View Single Post
      06-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I have 2 observations related to this topic and thread

1) The author's tone in the article does not align well with the conclusion that the M5 is the better car. He clearly sounds more excited about the Caddy, but based on a definition of a sports sedan that prioritizes luxury and comfort, he seems forced to pick the M5. This review coupled with the review that placed the M5 last when compared to the MB and Audi symbolizes a clear shift in expectations for the M5. It has gone from a ferrari killer with 4 doors (E28 M5) to the ultimate sports sedan (E39 M5) to the balls to the wall F1 tribute (E60 M5). While I am unsure as to what type of legacy the F10 will leave, I wouldn't be surprised if it is amongst the least remembered of the generations 10 years from now, purely because it seems to have detached the driver relative to the prior generations.

2) The posts in this thread parallel comparisons between the GTR and the 911 turbo when concerning the value propositions of the M5 versus the Caddy.

When confronted with the GTR which bested the turbo in performance, many porsche enthusiasts highligted the fact that the GTR will always be a Nissan and hence could never compare to the Porsche. Similarly, we have a much cheaper Caddy and the past generation no less that seems to offer a more visceral driving experience than the M5. Furthermore, BMW M5s have had the reputation of providing the most visceral driving experience. True, the M5 is faster around a track, but based on the review, the Caddy is more fun to drive. However, the Caddy is now dismissed on the basis that it is American, has a cheaper interior, and doesn't have the build quality of the M5. In the past, the M5's performance and dynamics alone would overcome all its deficiencies and pulverize the competition.

I have an E92 M3 myself and love BMWs, but I do recognize a great car when I see one. Based on the consistenly positive reviews of the Caddy's driving dynamics and handling, I accept that it is a great car. For a 3+ year old design to hang with the latest M5 further reinforces the Caddy's ability. I admit that the M5 does seem to be the better car overall, but its muted driving dynamics and inability to pulverize its competition with regard to its driving dynamics signals that perhaps BMW hasn't quite done enough to make the F10 special enough.
Appreciate 0