12-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #59
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
You seem to be stuck on the need for a crap ton of low end torque for regular or spirited city driving which is not the case in 90 percent of the cases. The m5 has more torque than a 335 throughout the band and peaks at 360 foot pounds or something. That is hardly too little torque to drive around the city.

You seem to also think that low end torque makes the car special and a perfect driver. Clearly its evident you have not owned an M-everyone who makes the switch says the same thing as you and then finally "gets it" when they buy the M. My point, which you seem to keep missing, is that there is more than low end grunt and power in general to driving an M and it feeling special.

Daily driving around I probably would suffice with 200hp car, and if it had all the qualities of the M's I enjoy than it would still be more special than a 335. A 335 is a totally uninvolved plain experience unless you stomp the pedal. The M's is an amazing, enthralling experiencing just coasting along barely touching the pedal. Clearly you will not get this until you own an M.

A 335 is so boring when driving unless you are racing it or dragging it or stomping it to the max. its also clear you have not had much experience in the M's because the powerband is designed differently. It is not dropping to 2k-3k rpms every shift like the 335, the m3 and e60 m5 stay high in the band with each upshift, so unless you are starting from a dead stop, you never are even in the low rpms so having no low end grunt is meaningless and you don't miss it. It also takes about 1/2 a second at the most to be from 0 rpms to 6k so its just not a factor.

Clearly you think low end torque is what makes a driving experience amazing. All the M owners know otherwise and it is atleast 20 other qualities of a daily drive in an M car that make a "complete" experience. 420 hp in the m3 is only one of the 20 things, whereas the 335 has 1 thing that gives an experience and 1 thing only-low end tug.
I think you confused like 3 different things in those paragraphs; so I don't see a point... I'll just let it go; enjoy your amazing M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Who cares!? It's a lambo with more hp and significantly less weight against a 4 door sedan!! And it depends on where the race starts/ends, the f10 m5 definitely starts to slow down at high speeds where the e60 shines.

You live your life a 1/4 mile at a time, don't you?
Been down the track once in my life and that's what I have been saying over and over again.