Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
I'm pretty sure you know this already but there are two separate cooling circuits. The charge air coolers and DME are separate from the main engine and turbo circuits. The marked up photo you posted covers the charge air/DME system. That is the reservoir on top of the engine. You will need to open and drain other hoses if you want to change the coolant in the other system/circuits.
This system was apparently not designed to have coolant flushed as a regular maintenance procedure; shy of removing every hose, the main expansion tank, heat exchanger, etc, you're just not going to get all the fluid out. This is why my one BMW indy shop said they recommend doing it every 4 years. I think the best you can do shy of taking every hose apart and pulling the engine, is probably the lower radiator hose and the two auxillary coolers for the charge air coolers; (essentially two smaller radiators.) The only thing I'm still uncertain of is the bleeding procedure; not sure if my Foxwell scanner has a "map thermostat" mode as described in the BMW bleeding procedure below; or if it's truly even necessary.

Quote:
Venting cooling system: Note:
Do not leave the coolant expansion tank sealing cap open during the bleeding procedure.

Switch on the low-beam headlights to perform the bleeding procedure. If the low-beam headlights are not switched on, the ignition (Terminal 15) will switch off automatically after a certain period of time and interrupt the bleeding procedure.

1. Open vent plugs on coolant feed lines to turbocharger.
  2. Add coolant to the upper edge of the expansion tank. The coolant level must no drop. No drop in coolant for approx. 1 minute. Close the bleeder screws of the exhaust turbocharger when coolant emerges.
  3. Set heating to maximum temperature. Press the automatic button. Then reduce the blower to the smallest level for a minimum time of 5 minutes.
  4. Driving experience switch must not be set to ECO PRO!
  5. After the heating pump is switched off, continue adding coolant to the upper edge of the expansion tank.
  6. Check cooling system for leaks.
  7. Close expansion tank.
  8. Start engine. Let the engine idle for approx. 1 minute. During this time, press on the accelerator 3 x for 5 s each to approx. 3000 rpm.
  9. Warm up engine and activate map thermostat via BMW diagnosis system.
  10. When engine has cooled down, check coolant level and adjust to max.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...trols/IIQKHzrr

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0