12-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #31
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
What else must Lewis do to convince others of his worthiness of the accolades he's EARNED through hard and consistent work for over 25 years in motorsport with 14 at the very top level and nearly ALWAYS in contention for the WDC...even with dismal equipment?
Nothing.. His resume is beyond reproach and spot within the pantheon of all-time greats a done deal. No matter what happens from here.

But greatness should be challenged. New, up and coming challengers should be welcomed until it's time to pass the torch. This happens naturally in almost all other sports -- tennis, basketball, boxing, you name it.

Motorsport is one of the only arenas where this natural challenge process doesn't necessarily materialize, but I think it's incumbent upon the world's premier motorsport and its participants to make it so. If Merc continues to be dominant, Lewis could be "insulated" by BOT (or similar) for another 5 years, 10 years? (HAM's an athlete, bet he could effectively drive well into his 40's.) Meanwhile a RUS spends his prime years in a Williams? That can't be right.

Some good competition within the team will not obstruct another WCC or necessarily cause strife. They're all grown men & women operating on a 9 figure budget. Hire counselors...

And as above, HAM aside, I have issue with BOT being in 1 of the top 2 seats in all of motorsport. It's just not deserved.

Respect your viewpoint. But I sure hope come March '21 I'm looking at different driver lineups at both RB and Merc. My level of interest will be exponentially greater if so.

Small side note/anecdote -- last weekend was the first race my 12 year old son watched lights out to checkered all year!

Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
racerbruce3853.50