View Single Post
      04-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Lightbulb How to Bimmercode VLD and Anti-Dazzle (GFHB) with your adaptive LED headlights

If you research the threads on the forum, the general consensus seems to be that you just can't code in VLD (Variable Light Distribution) or anti-dazzle (GFHB - Glare Free High Beam) on our US market cars. Or that you have to pay someone to code it for you. I think most people don't realize the real answer is YES!! You can code it in! So I think it warranted a new thread that can be searched and found more clearly from now on.

As many of you know, these features are activated on BMWs in many parts of the world. Here in the US, it's been intentionally coded out due to weird government regulations. There are so many threads on this subject, so it took a lot of time to find the answer. It was buried deep in the pages of our forums. I tried out the coding a year ago and come to find out it works like a charm! (yes I know, I should have posted this thread a LONG time ago. Just didn't get to it, don't kill me!) So over the last year, I've tested it quite a bit under all kinds of conditions. It's pure genius. Headlights work so seamlessly and everything is automatic; I never even think about it. I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic even once. Visibility, can't ask for more.

So first of all, you'll need Bimmercode, of course! Next, you will require an FLA/KAFAS camera on your car by the rearview mirror. If you have regular HID Xenon lights ONLY the VLD function will work for you. VLD will also work if you have adaptive LED headlights. It only works on your LOW BEAMS to move your headlights and position the beams on the road depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (this text is copied from another car platform, so not every detail mentioned will apply to the M5):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as if the Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MPH). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical)
(thank you to shawnsheridan!)

But if you have an LCI M5 (2014-2016), with the LED adaptive headlights, well now that means you can take full advantage of what you paid for and code in the anti-dazzle, GFHB. This will actively swivel the lights in different axis to avoid oncoming traffic while actually keeping the HIGH BEAMS on! GFHB will ONLY work with adaptive LED headlights, it will NOT work if you have HID Xenon lights.

Not only will this work on the M5 but it should work on any F10, F12, F13, F06, etc. This method may also work for other BMWs as well, but I can't confirm which models, please do your research. I've posted 2 different methods so that you can figure out which method works for you. Please READ CAREFULLY. This procedure does require you to use Bimmercode on Expert Mode. So proceed at your own risk!

Method 1:
Coding for 8S4 (VLD - works for both HID Xenons and LED adaptive lights):

Footwell Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y > F025_mit_AFS > 0x9C,0x9C,0x9C (check this box)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_FLC_ENA > F025_enable > 0x01 (check this box)

Coding for 5AP (GFHB - works for LED adaptive lights ONLY):

Footwell Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ENA > F025_enable > 0x01 (check this box)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_GRHB_ENA > F025_ Highway_Standby_AFS > 0x01 (check this box)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA > F025_enable > 0x01 (check this box)

(thanks to drs4life@comcast!)

Method 2:
If for some reason you don't see these parameters on expert mode for your car then try the following alternative method for coding :

Coding for 8S4 (VLD - works for both HID Xenons and LED adaptive lights):

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y > 9C,9C,9C (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_AFS_ENA > Enable (Both)

Coding for 5AP (GFHB - works for LED adaptive lights ONLY):

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ENA > Enable (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_GRHB_ENA > Highway_Standby_AFS

3073 LaMaster1 > C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA > Enable

(Thanks to the members RobRed and AndrewC1989 from the M2 forum)

Note: You'll see two blue check marks next to some of these. Press the top one. It will uncheck the one below it. Now you can enable one of the two 'enable' options (if there are two). Back out. Go back in. Both correct selections should have the blue checkmark next to them.

Remember to keep your headlights dial in the "Auto" position. HBA (High Beam Assistant) is a feature that our US cars already have. With HBA, the high beams turn off in the presence of oncoming headlights or following taillights of other cars and automatically turns the high beams on if no other cars are present. For some reason, BMW has opted to make HBA operate with manual activation using a button on the turn signal stalk. The next time the car is restarted it resets to off position again. There is a coding parameter on Bimmercode that allows HBA to automatically activate every time you restart the car. Manual operation is still possible in order to turn HBA off for some reason if you'd want. I'd highly recommend coding this in as well.

There has been controversy with some members in the past about whether you should or shouldn't do this so it's up to you. But I don't see why not! You'll wish you did it sooner! Enjoy your car as BMW intended.

Good luck guys, enjoy!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-02-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 8