Rep
Drives: 11 135i-11E93-M3-01 Z3-91 M5

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [9.38]
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i  [8.50]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
E34 M5 rescue

With the hectic holiday season in the rear view, I thought I would post up this account of my recently acquired E34 M5. I bought this car back in mid November and have driven it for exactly 36 miles and one car wash before garaging it for the winter. Now I really can't wait for spring!

I have to say from the onset that I am not a mechanic but a mid-level DIYer that enjoys the BMW platform, to be sure. This involves driving, detailing and routine maintenance along with keeping all systems functional, and occasionally enlisting the help of an indie shop when needed repairs are beyond my scope. I am not of unlimited resources and am now maintaining 4 BMWs, though the other 3 are basically sorted and modded to my liking, so this year’s budget will be mostly directed towards the M5.

I posted this initially on the M3 board because the day I bought the M5 I had to move the M3 out from winter storage in the garage stall where I have QJ and tools so I could work on the M5.

I repeat that post here.

So here’s the story-

The year was 2004. That summer I retired from the Navy, bought the house on the cul-de-sac in my hometown and bought my very first BMW, a 2004 330i ZHP. Later that same year the house next to mine sold. My new neighbor, Dr. C, was a family practice physician recently hired on at the clinic.

Some years went by and then one day there it was, a black 1991 E34 M5 parked in my neighbor’s driveway. Then it was gone. I later spoke with Dr. C and turns out the car is his and it’s been sitting in his garage since he moved in. After that I only rarely saw the M5 out in the driveway.

It was way back in April 2014 when I offered to purchase the 1991 M5 from my neighbor, Dr. C. He said that he seriously considered my offer, but decided not to sell. I think his wife was more motivated to sell the he was. I offered to assist him with whatever help or advice he may need getting the car out and driving. As we all know things come up and these cars can be needy, but very rewarding when cared for.

Later that year I sold the house and moved up to the lake.

As the years passed I ran into Dr. C. occasionally and we always spoke of the M5. No he hadn't been driving it. Work and call and family he said. I gave him my indie shop's contact info. He always seemed enthused about getting it back into shape and driving it.

Just this last summer when we ran into each other he told me he had the car hauled to the shop. He said they cleaned the gelled gas out of the tank, new lines and filter, couple of radiator hoses, belts, new battery and a new set of tires so the car would start and drive. He was getting the car ready to sell. I offered to help him detail it and list it on BaT if he wanted to try to sell it there. No he said he didn't care for the internet, preferred to talk to people.

I did some research to determine just what I would be getting myself into if I were to make an offer. I'm a fairly decent DIYer but now with 3 other BMWs my annual car budget would need a raise. She's gonna need some TLC!

I thought to myself, do I want to take this on? And do I want to add a 4th BMW to the garage? - I have more space now but to put the M5 in means my truck will be demoted to the driveway.

I called him up and made a first pass inspection. The battery was dead even though less than a year old, we used a jump starter. The car started and the engine sounded OK on cold start. There were no oil leaks on his garage floor.

I later mailed Dr. C. an offer based on Hagerty's valuation scale. A week later he called me and said that the mechanic at the shop offered him 'x' and his wife said 'sell'. He said he would rather see me get it for that, if I really wanted it. I bought the car the next day.

Here it is in his garage the day I came to pick it up. While I do not have any maintenance history on the car, I do know that it has been stored here just like this for the last 18 years. Ten of those years this was a mere 50 feet from my bedroom window!

Name:  M5 stored1.JPG
Views: 2008
Size:  205.1 KB

The signed over title shows 79,233 in 2001. Dr. C never registered this car for the road as the plate that was on the car expired in June of 2001!

Name:  M5 title2.JPG
Views: 1691
Size:  483.8 KB

At the gas station about a mile away the day I bought the car shows 79,527. The car has only been driven 294 miles in 21 years! What a shame.

Name:  M5 odometer day1.JPG
Views: 1734
Size:  204.3 KB

I drove it home in the snow.

Name:  M5 home2.JPG
Views: 1701
Size:  329.2 KB

Here's a motor shot.

Name:  M5 motor1.JPG
Views: 1759
Size:  329.0 KB

Since I do not have a service history, I'll need to rely upon a thorough objective inspection in which the mysteries of her former life 1991-2001 can only be surmised. My intentions are to freshen her up and drive her as intended, but with respect. As a long time BMW fan and owner/driver, I feel truly blessed to have this rare opportunity to experience one of the last hand-built M5s.

And so the bond between man and machine begins.
Appreciate 18
SW111279.00
Rono63705.50
Cos270608.50
phoenx332.50
DB_Cooper596.00
Mani5913467.50
Llarry15407.50
swagon13505.00
M4Tejas770.00
CamasM3e933140.00
celsdogg323.00